Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #111688 09/13/11 08:31 PM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Hi !!
    We had our son tested with wisc-IV and wiat-II. We had issues at school he wanted to drop out and he's only 6 years old. So we decided to homeschool until we get tests results.

His WISC-IV came back inconclusive too many discrpancies.

His results

Verbal comprehension. Scaled scores. Percentile
    Similarities 16. 98
    Vocabulary. 12. 75
    Comprehension. 12. 75
    Information. 14. 91

Perceptual reasoning
    Block design. 10. 50
    Picture concepts. 9. 37
    Matrix reasoning. 9. 37
    Picture completion. 9. 37

Processing speed
    Coding. 14. 91
    Symbol search. 14. 91

Auditory and visual memory
    Digit span. 12. 75
    Letter number sequencing. 10. 50

WIAT-II scores

Word reading in french. 134. 99%. 8.5 grade level
    word reading in english. 129. 97%
    reading comprehension. 148. 99.9% 5.2 grade level
    math operations. 132. 98%. 4 grade level
    math reasoning. 128. 97%. 3.5 grade level
    spelling in french. 127. 96%
    spelling in english. 124. 95%

Would you send the results to the school even if I am homeschooling.The school wanted to put him in 2-3 split the psychologist doesn't think it's enough .she was against homeschooling but she thinks it's an option now.

I still wonder why he's all over the place for WISC.

A
    A
    With much lower PRI than VCI, you might be looking at a situation where there are 2-E issues, or possibly problems with vision or visual processing. This merits further investigation. A complete evaluation (not a regular pediatrician or optometrist simple eye exam) should help you rule these kinds of issues in or out. Another possible cause for a big PRI/VCI split is a NVLD - non-verbal learning disorder.

The scatter within the verbal subtests could easily be an artifact of the tri-lingualism, and I wouldn't be overly concerned with it unless he also showed some signs of actual real-life difficulty with the lower subtest areas, like social comprehension, for example. The tri-lingualism may also depress the VCI somewhat at this age, still, as he has been busy acquiring vocabulary in 3 languages, not just one. Is he used to hearing the accent the tester had? If he found the tester difficult to understand, that could also have impacted his scores on the vocabulary and comprehension subtests.

The achievement testing is much more in line with his scores on the similarities and information subtests.

If I were you, I would keep homeschooling for the moment, and get more information about what may be depressing his PRI score before I shared the info with the school, perhaps by getting a neuropsych evaluation.

Just my .02 - YMMV.

S
    S
    Did he enjoy the testing? Or did he tune out during the PRI section of the test? The split between PRI and math achievement is really odd.

And don't trust the blurb on the test results, our WJ-III results said that our son was very cooperative during testing and so the results were a true picture of his achievement levels, but when I asked why all of his fluency subtests were at 0 (which should have invalidated most of the cluster results) the reply was that he had looked at the test sheet, gone to the last questions (which apparently go all the way to 12th grade?), said he didn't know how to do those, and refused to go any further. Very cooperative, ah!

Oh, and where are you that you managed to get him assessed in French?? (I assumed Canada but then you mention an IEP, so...)

I am also dealing with weird test results with a bilingual-going-trilingual DS7, which combined with bright and AS makes for a rather lonely mix, so if misery loves company...

K
    OP Offline
    K
    I live in ontario, Canada and I found someone that could do the testing in French.Since he also has the English the psychologist offered to assessed reading and writing in that language.

Our son said he liked doing the testing.I was surprised with results of PR especially with picture part where they remove something from picture and you need to say what is missing.Normally he is very observant and notices every details that is actually scary.I know he did that section in the last 30 minutes.He did testing in morning and he is not a morning person and we also have issues with him sleeping in stage 4 all night which is not good for brain.I can see him if not interested that he can quit.But she said he was vey cooperative.

I know for math achievement he did everything in his head he refused to use scrap paper and my husband saw where he stopped on the test and said he could have done more problem and he knows he knew the answer because he was doing that kind of problem before.

I sound like I try to find excuses!!!Now for homeschooling I am confused I don't know what grade level to do to spark his interest...I know he wants to learn another language,do science,math ,build things.They told us not to push academics but we never did we never did after class enrichment since we were fighting for hours to get his homework done!

K
    OP Offline
    K
    and I forgot to mention he is perfectionist .He's terribly scared to make mistakes,he gets very frustrated if he can't do something at first attempt and if he sees it'a bit harder and there's potential to make mistake he quits.We are working on this right now he just accepted this week that it is ok to make mistakes(but still get very upset if he has one)

S
    S
    My son was like that last year. And badly so: the one time I saw what I felt was a truly worrisome ASD trait was when we tried to help him drill his arithmetic tables with xtramath.org -- he went deer-in-the-headlights when the smiley faced timer was on, and when I hid it and he couldn't remember a number instantaneously he would start banging hard on his head with his fists frown.

This year (2nd grade) his teacher has 4 rules for the classroom, the last one of which (right after "give me your best work") is "mistakes are expected -- if you didn't make any you wouldn't be in school". It seems to have helped quite a bit (he quotes the rule to himself -- and to his father -- at home).

S
    S
    Ah, and for math...

My son did Dreambox, which is on the fluffy side but very game-like and nicely animated. It is supposed to cover K-3rd grade (so a bit below what the WIAT thinks your son is at), although my son hasn't realized he is done with the program (but frankly watching him arrange virtual manipulative for multiple factors of a number today completely at random until he got a match makes me doubt some of those evaluations) because he hasn't explored all the parts of the game world yet.

The drawbacks: it is designed as an afterschool/homework activity, and provides very little in-game explanations, so you will have to teach the concepts as he progresses in the game (and probably handle drilling on tables separately). But the built in assessments and the progression seem like a good guide to what needs to be taught.

Now we are starting with aleks.com, which has been recommended (with some caveats) on this forum. It starts at the third grade, has more instructions, and is not much like a game. Still waiting to see how it goes. My son likes the challenge but clearly misses the much more fun (and polished) interface in Dreambox.

A
    A
    We've tried EPGY, ALEKS, IXL, and Khan Academy, and Khan Academy is the hands-down winner in our house. The teaching style in the videos is IMHO more enjoyable than with EPGY, and DD really likes that she can choose what she wants to work on. The drawback is that it's not linked to any state standards, so you have to choose your own adventure. IXL was too much of the same - 10 perfect problems in a row, with the opportunity to earn a badge by doing more, is a more-tolerable level of exercise repetition.

I've been doing some Khan Academy, too, and have determined that DD's propensity for careless errors probably comes from me. wink

K
    OP Offline
    K
    We tried IXL he liked it at first but now it's too much repetition . He's getting bored and I can't watch him doing it he is fidgety and he's down on the floor with mouse it drives me nuts.I will show him khan academy.I also found a game in french superzapp.com they do entire french and math curriculum. He loves it so far no formal teaching but for each question you have theory if you need explanation it's there.

He also wants to learn another language.The other problem is to find age appropriate books at his level.According to psychologist his grade level in comprehension is higher than results of test she had no more material to test him. I' m open to any suggestions for book ideas!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations