Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #111783 09/14/11 06:33 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Ds is 5 and in kinder. All of a sudden his reading has taken off. He went from Bob books in February to Biscuit books in June to Fly Guy short chapter books now. He went through that series in a week.

I am looking for early chapter books for boys. I looked at Young Cam Jansen at the library and they are way too advanced at this point (maybe by Christmas at this rate). Ds seems to enjoy the series aspect. The funnier the better at his time.

Thanks for your help
    Sheila

A
    A
    Marvin Redpost was one of DD's favorites at that age, but IIRC she needed help to read them through. She didn't have a lot of stamina, more than anything, so they might work for your DS.

Have you tried the Henry and Mudge series? There are lots of books in the series, and they have a universal appeal. I think they're a little easier than Young Cam Jansen.

I liked 'My Father's Dragon' series by Ruth Stiles Gannet
    Captain Underpants and Ricky Ricotta books by Dav Pilkey are a traditional favorite for making the transition.

He also read books the tied in with his favorite characters from TV and Games, such as Pokemon.

Sideways school books are funny and easy chapter books. Mrs. Pigglewiggle is more like a series of short stories.

I'd also try reading Harry Potter 1 aloud and see if he picks it up while you are busy without prompting. Try to act heart broken that he went ahead without you, ok? ((wink)) Then you can ask a lot of questions about what you missed.

It's a great idea to visit the school when they have their Scholastic book fair or browse them online. Developing a good relationship with the local Children's Librarian is recommended. Even Amazon's 'Other shoppers you looked at this book, enjoyed this book' can be a useful feature.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    I know they are not on a very high intellect level but they are a LOT of fun to read - my son really enjoyed the Geronimo Stilton books because they were so fun to read...they have a great series out called the Kingdom of Fantasy :-)

F
    OP Offline
    F
    All these suggestions are awesome! That being said, I don't think he is ready for most of them. Maybe I just need to try some and find out lol. He has been surprising me at every level. I will try Henry and Mudge or Mr. Putter might be fun. DD LOVED these series last year.

Grinity, I think you told me back in the spring that his reading would just explode one day. He still needs to build confidence. It has been fun to listen as he reads. We have been explaining punctuation to him to help with fluency.

D
    D
    Dinosaur Cove series?

DeeDee

J
    J
    Magic Tree House might be a bit beyond him right now but wait 6 months or so. My older LOVED MTH- he has insisted on reading all 45 or so books sequentially. They are historical and he's picked up quite a few facts from them.

C
    C
    We tried some of the younger kid Choose Your Own Adventure books when dd10 was younger and had stamina issues with longer books. I don't know if they, too, might be a bit of a stretch, but they can be quite short. (These are not the thicker ones that are written more at a 4th-5th grade level.)

http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-House...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1316107095&sr=1-4

Dd13 made a huge leap when she was at the spot your ds is in reading. She went from Henry and Mudge to Harry Potter in a matter of weeks.

Cricket2 #111842 09/15/11 03:09 PM
    Have you tried harder picture books, the books in the numbered sections of the library rather than the J books are usually harder but not so daunting as chapter books. Also there are the Magic School Bus chapter books, which are oddly easier than the picture books. Also the A to Z mysteries are very nice first chapter books, pictures, and friendly stories where you don't have to worry about the content being appropriate.

DeHe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs