Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 308 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #111049 09/05/11 08:36 AM
    A
    Art Guy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Inattentiveness vs. Multitasking

by C. Bainbridge
    Surprisingly, gifted children can continue to follow what a teacher is saying so that when the teacher calls on a gifted child who looks like he hasn't been paying attention, the child can answer the question without any problem. However, it's also quite possible that a child can become so engrossed in his own thoughts that he is essentially in another world and doesn't even hear the teacher, even when his name is called.

To the teacher, the child looks as though he is not interested in learning, but the opposite is usually true: the child is very interested in learning, but has already learned the material being discussed and therefore isn't learning anything. Consequently, the child retreats to the rich, inner life so typical of gifted children.

My daughter seems to play pretend all day long. She sings, makes up stories, creates little things out of bits of paper and string, poms and googly eyes, and draws the most amazing things. She might seem like she isn't paying attention to what's going on around her, but just ask. She has perfect recall. Even if she doesn't seem to be listening, she can retell a story with understanding.

Now new challenges arise. As she enters 1st grade, and has a desk she is supposed to sit in for long stretches of the day, I have become worried about how she will adapt. I want her teachers to know how gifted she is. She isn't normal. Her behavior can be very different, but it isn't less. There is a richness and depth to her imagination that only comes along once in a great while.

My goal is to get her teachers, and the world all around, to understand that she isn't necessarily distracted. Look at her father. I am known as the drawing guy at church. During messages I fill sketchbook after sketchbook with drawings taken from the sermons and other things running through my mind. It is how I process all of the thoughts and stimulus. I'm not ignoring the message. On the contrary, I am assimilating it in my own way, in a way my mind can take it and own it. I remember it better than if I just had to sit there and focus on the pastor.

This just didn't start recently. Now that I think back, I recall filling the margins of my notebooks in college with elaborate drawings. And I believe my grades reflect that I was not distracted. As an honors graduate with a 4.9, I feel my idiosyncratic doodling during lectures was a way I learned to cope with a monotone, boring environment of lectures and make the information come to life.

So now I see my daughter naturally taking on this method of synthesizing the stimulus of the classroom. And it becomes my job to advocate for her. She is not inattentive. On the contrary, she is an imaginative steamroller, churning out creative byproducts while ingesting the lessons. My mission must be to grow tolerance for her way of thinking so she can flower and grow in the classroom setting.

Last edited by Art Guy; 09/05/11 08:58 AM.
    http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/Visual_Spatial_Learner/articles.htm

See the link for "taking notes in picture form."

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    Art Guy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    That's fantastic! I can hand that right to her teacher when I ask for my daughter to keep a sketchbook at her desk.

M
    M
    This is great! It describes my son perfectly. He is homeschooled now, but this was a huge problem while he was at school. He used to say that when he was bored he would "make movies" in his head. That drove the teachers nuts because it looked like he wasn't listening and didn't care. I suggested they ask him questions to see if he was paying attention. They did so and once caught him so obsorbed in his own thoughts that he didn't know the answer. Sadly, that convinced them that he really wasn't paying attention. I am so glad we don't have to deal with that anymore!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations