Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    DS7 had his first day of 3rd grade today, and I think things went well. The first thing he said was that he and another student think that the new teacher is crazy because she's making the kids use planners. (I rather like the planners - it means that we'll finally get to know what the kid is doing in school. He's not one to talk about school. Last year I got the info from his friends...) He brought home some "getting to know you" type writing, and I was shocked by how neat it was, and it filled a whole page! DS has had notoriously poor handwriting, and we were going to work on it over the summer... well, you know how these things go. It got worked on a couple of times. So I was very pleasantly surprised.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the planner. DS9 started getting one in 3rd grade. like yours, he would never tell me anything. It's the only way I can keep track of anything that's going on. My favorite was the math quiz that he had today. In planner: Study for math quiz. Me: You have a math quiz? Him: Sure. Me: Are you going to study. Him: No. Etc. ... of course, he gets them all right every time. I don't know why I worry about actual STUDYING! ;-)

M
    M
    We're two weeks in and DS7 is doing great. We had a scare last week b/c the county moved to a new "integrated" curriculum and are no longer separating into different classrooms for math like they'd been doing. Lots of talk about how math is simply "part" of the other lessons. "There's no set time for math, etc., etc.) New curriculum has some pluses, but this is not it.

Thankfully, at back to school night, principal said that after looking at the needs of the kids (we're at the GT school), she's decided the school needs to continue the math switch. Hurrah! So, looks like all will be well after all. I'm hoping the math switch will start next week.

In the meantime, DS likes his teacher and seems happier than he ever has been about going to school. And teacher says he's even completing his work (still slow, but I'll take it!) Another staffer at the school pulled me aside at back to school night and told me really nice things about how quick he is to learn things and how well he's doing socially. All nice to hear ;-)

F
    F
    I wish I had the patience (and time) to home school. 3 weeks in at it hasn't been good frown

M
    M
    I noticed today that kids in grades 2-6 are eligible for CTY testing. DS6 started 2nd grade this fall, so I'm considering signing up. Is anyone else in this group giving this thought?

A
    A
    I did it with DS10 last year (4th grade) he did very well (high honors on both parts) I wasn't thinking of doing it with DD8 because of her 2E'ness. She can't perform fast enough on a timed math test, just won't happen. First 2 skills tests they did in math she got her extra time (that's on her 504) and got 99% and 98%. On the 3rd test she wasn't given the extra time, didn't complete the test and got a 58%. Every question she completed was correct (none were skipped). So, I don't think a timed test would work out. There is no real reason to do it in our case anyway, it was fun for DS because he loves tests and does well. Maybe I'll think about it next year for DD when she is in 4th grade.

A
    A
    AntsyPants,
    If there is a 504 in place and/or you have a psych report with a diagnosis and suggested accommodations that include extra time, you should be able to have your 2-E child test with extra time. It usually takes 2 or 3 months to get accommodations through,so you'll want to get the ball rolling soon if the timed nature of the testing is the only obstacle.

U
    U
    What is the CTY process and what are the advantages of testing for it? It gives you access to online learning, I think, but anything else?

I am reevaluating DD right now and feeling a little flummoxed. It is apparent from conversations with her teacher and what I am seeing from school that the gifted magnet may not be adequate either. It does look like this is a better fit than her previous school, and I think she is going to have more friends here. But we may need more.

F
    F
    So dd7 had library day yesterday. She came home with a Biscuit book and a level 1 Fancy Nancy. Whats wrong with this picture? She is reading on a late third early fourth grade level (in guided reading)!

N
    N
    Ds8's current library book is a Geronmo Stilton book - his new favorite reading material. Though his teacher has him reading The Lightening Thief during part of 3rd grade math, and at home he's reading a Horrible History about London (nice and gory, he's loving reading about the Tower of LOndon and the grisly executions there wink

A
    A
    Were those her book choices for fun or for class? I don't mind DD8 reading whatever she wants in that situation because i know the books she reads at night and in class are the right level. If DD wanted to read the whole Captain Underpants series again or revisit Junie B Jones it would be fine with me as long as it fosters her love of reading. Just be sure you help DD select appropriate late 3rd-early 4th grade level books for her to read too.

I got the reading bug from MAD magazines and comic books. Later fell in love with Shakespeare.

In our old school (a private gifted school) the teachers would tell parents to encourage any reading even below level reading for fun down time. They worked on comprehension and above grade level books in class. Also, I do agree that reading at the right comprehension level is important. We always used the 5-finger rule with DD. You open a book to a random page and while reading it count the words you don't know. If it's more than 5 you may not be ready for it. I think the librarian in that school taught us that.

Lastly, I have noticed that in the younger grades (K-3) in our old school (going by my experiences with DS10 who was the super early reader/very high reading level) they would read higher level books, do some vocab and move on. At our new school they do easier books (1-2 yrs above grade level) in class but do more in-depth studies. So, while DS did The Egypt Game in his 3rd grade reading class(a 6th gr level book) I am not too concerned when I saw it on a suggested list for his 5th grade. I know that if they do that book in class they will be learning study habits, active reading techniques, doing reports & presentations and more. So, it's not so much the book itself but what they do with it and I keep that all in mind with DD8 in 3rd grade.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM