Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #111010 09/04/11 01:16 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904716604576542593019231326.html
    Learning How to Focus on Focus: In an age of information overload, simply paying attention is the hardest thing
    by JONAH LEHRER
    Wall Street Journal
    SEPTEMBER 3, 2011

Though our attention will always be a scare resource, easily steamrolled by the world's abundant distractions, it's possible to improve our focus, to become better at dealing with the excess of information.

The key is strengthening what psychologists call "executive function," a collection of cognitive skills that allow us to exert control over our thoughts and impulses. When we resist the allure of a sweet treat, or do homework instead of watch television, or concentrate for hours on a difficult problem, we are relying on these lofty mental talents. What we want to do in the moment, and what we want to want, are often very different things. Executive function helps to narrow the gap.

Researchers have found that varying personal levels of executive function have a profound impact on nearly every aspect of life. Consider a recent study led by Avshalom Caspi and Terrie Moffit of Duke University that tracked 1,037 children born in Dunedin, New Zealand. The researchers gave the kids a barrage of mental tests and then kept meticulous records of their behavior as they matured into teenagers and adults.

Children who could better regulate their impulses and attention were four times less likely to have a criminal record, three times less likely to be addicted to drugs and half as likely to become single parents. In many instances, the ability to utilize executive control was more predictive of adult outcomes than either IQ scores or socioeconomic status.

But here's the good news: Executive function can be significantly improved, especially if interventions begin at an early age. In the current issue of Science, Adele Diamond, a neuroscientist at the University of British Columbia, reviews the activities that can reliably boost these essential mental skills.

<end of excerpt>

The paper co-authored by Diamond, "Interventions shown to Aid Executive Function Development in Children 4�12 Years Old", is at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3159917/ . The cited paper by Caspi and Moffit may be "A gradient of childhood self-control predicts health, wealth, and public safety", available at http://www.pnas.org/content/108/7/2693.short .

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    This paper was in a recent Science magazine and it is very easy to understand so I've been carrying copies around with me to help explain EF and what can be done to improve it!

The authors talked about taekwondo as an activity to help EF, so I brought a copy of the paper to my son's taekwondo school. My son has an ASD and we struggle we EF. Talking with some other parents at taekwondo, it seems like their kids do, too. Did we all sort of gravitate to taekwondo I wonder? (Of course not everyone at the school does, but I was surprised at the number of parents describing kids similar to mine.)

Anyway, thanks for posting this link for everyone. The article is definitely a keeper for teachers, therapists, caretakers, parents or anyone interacting with a kid with EF struggles!

Kate

L
    L
    My 13-year-old son recently started taking mixed martial arts. I can certainly see how it teaches concentration. He only got hit in the face once.

A
    A
    DS10 has been doing Tae Kwon Do for 8-9 months. It has helped a lot, in so many ways! It really has been great. I find it interesting that the crowd is mostly a mix of gifted, add/adhd, & autism. It has been one of the best things we have done with DS and I highly recommend it!

AntsyPantsy: We sort of fell into it as a sport of last resort. The Y changed their swim team time so it was unworkable with the afternoon bus schedule. And DS has proclaimed "no ball sports" since he was miserable on his soccer, t-ball, and basketball teams.

So far DS really likes it. It's funny that you noticed the gifted/adhd/asd crowd also; shows it is not just me, phew!

A
    A
    PM me where you take DS for TKD. We got into the same way. DS did a few years of soccer (started him at 3) but he didn't like it when it got competitive and serious. Hated baseball, didn't want to do swimming if it was instructional/competitive. He liked Track when we were still in NY but didn't find that here and I'd wanted to try him in martial arts for yrs (too expensive in NY!) So, he was invited to a bday party at this tae kwon do place and he liked it, i loved the place and the people so we joined. It's been great and he just earned his blue belt last week laugh

Kate #111026 09/04/11 06:58 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Kate
    AntsyPantsy: It's funny that you noticed the gifted/adhd/asd crowd also; shows it is not just me, phew!

And it's not just Tai Kwon Do, either. I can attest that Aikido and Jujitsu attract the same mix. Probably all of the martial arts do. A lot of the dojos, around here, anyway, deliberately market to this demographic: "Improve fitness, coordination, and focus. Learn self-confidence, self-defense, and self-control!"

A
    A
    that's the way i've always seen it advertised too but I didn't make the connection until i was in it!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations