Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    A
    A
    Some links that demonstrate that knitting is mathematical and about making more than needed objects:

Hoagie's Gifted knitting links

Thanks, I'll keep trying smile

Originally Posted by aculady
    I would argue that most adults do choose their associations in large part based on IQ, but they don't acknowledge it or even realize it because the overlap between IQ and what people find interesting is so great. How many low-IQ physics Ph.D.s do you honestly think there are? My son found most of the kids he knows around his age who might be considered "intellectual peers" by participating in a community theater group doing Shakespeare productions. The "shared interest" was also a filter that selected in favor of higher IQ.

This was kind of my point. Mensa struck me as a catch-all for those who didn't find a group such as the Shakespeare group or go into the physics profession, etc.

Given that one of my interests is in the realm of economic analysis (theoretical) and macro-trend stock trading (practical), I don't have an in-person group in my small metro area. Lots of people to talk to, but, given my topsy-turvy look at the market (I like bear markets better than bull markts), you just aren't going to find many people except online.

If I went to NYC, I would find plenty of such people. And it would be a group that was pre-selected for I.Q.

L
    L
    I used to crochet a lot even though I worked full time before my son was born. I created my own patterns for making things like finger puppets and dresses for my daughter. I liked making filet crochet pictures. I never really thought about crocheting and knitting being mathematical.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    Originally Posted by islandofapples
    Am I supposed to magically find another mama on the playground who wants to have deep philosophical conversations with me while we watch our kids play on the jungle gym?

I wouldn't say magically, but I would say that depending on where you live you may not find it that difficult to find bright SAHMs. It is probably harder if you live in a city where a lot of people have nannies or use child care.

I won't say it was magic - I worked at it hard - but I was able to find quite a few very bright SAHM to hang around with. They tend to gravitate to certain types of kids' activities. I realized I needed SAHM friends so I pushed myself to join organizations and ask people over for playdates.

Yes, I've had some amazing conversations with random moms in the park. Usually they were interested in finding out more about gifted testing & schools for their own child that they suspected was gifted too!

I found this interesting: When DS10 was born (he was my first) I was exclusively breastfeeding and joined a breastfeeding support group at the local hospital. I became friends with 3 other moms (we are still friends) and each of us were different ages, maybe a 10 year age span, from different backgrounds from blue collar to upper middle class to wealthy. All 4 of our children (that were the babies in that group) are gifted. Differently gifted ranging from 135-160 on WISC testing. 2 were identified as gifted early (before age 2) one was tested "for the heck of it" because the mom was curious (135, goes to regular public school, no services or gifted acknowledgment) and the last was ID'd in 4th grade after a rocky road in elementary school (and my pushing her to test, she tested in the mid-140s and is much happier in school now that she is getting enrichment) DH said "how can all of these kids be gifted, is it the breastfeeding?" I figured the 4 of us gravitated to each other because we were similar in the IQ dept even though we appeared to have so many outward differences. Also, the fact that we all were interested in breastfeeding, finding support groups, etc. If we were strangers pushing our kids on swings at the park we would have probably had some interesting conversations smile As far as activities you are right. Anyone go to Music Together? I met a lot of other intelligent moms at activities like that too smile

Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    I really miss it, but my hands have not recovered enough from my last pregnancy to knit again.
    My hands to better with crochet than knitting...any luck there Mum3?
    I hate it when my hands misbehave!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    That is an interesting thought Grinity, but given doing my DDs hair in the morning, taps, hand writing etc are still problematic (after 18 months) I don't think I could even crochet.

Min Offline
    Originally Posted by AntsyPants
    I figured the 4 of us gravitated to each other because we were similar in the IQ dept even though we appeared to have so many outward differences. Also, the fact that we all were interested in breastfeeding, finding support groups, etc. If we were strangers pushing our kids on swings at the park we would have probably had some interesting conversations smile

This is similar to my experience, but not just IRL. My online parenting groups have seen a similar phenonmenon. Those of us who have stayed together for 9+ years have a remarkably high rate of children who are gifted in some form or other.

Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    That is an interesting thought Grinity, but given doing my DDs hair in the morning, taps, hand writing etc are still problematic (after 18 months) I don't think I could even crochet.

((sad face)) Oh dear! Sending good energy for quick and steady improvement...Do you think some kind of medical attention might be useful?
    ((hugs and more hugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    I have low tone and EDS hypermobility type... Not much to be done about it. With any luck I will stiffen up again, perhaps when I finish breastfeeding things will shift a bit.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM