Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Wonderful...what a relief! Go School!!! Go DS! Go Nautigal!!! Go Team!!!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Wow, I've never had my own cheerleader before! smile

T
    T
    Its so great to hear that there are schools out there who "get it "! I wish we were in a location that cared this much about education of ALL!
    Hopefully the plan goes wonderfully this year for your son Nautigal

Wow, your school is amasing to work so hand in hand with you and that he advocated for himself! Wow!

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Well, the school came up with a solution today!

He's going to have his own math class. There is a paraprofessional who worked with him a bit last year on his ALEKS, and apparently she has been a 7th grade math teacher in another local district. She is going to take him when his class is having math, and teach him at his own level. They will do a placement test to see just where he is in their curriculum and go from there. The class has math from 1:00 to 2:00 and math lab from 2:00 to 2:30, and she will take him from 1:30 to 2:30, so he will have that first half hour to work on his other stuff and then his math overlaps so he won't miss a thing! And it's flexible, so that if the class is doing something that would be good for him in math lab, he can go to that.

Yay! smile

I suspect it will get more exciting next year, figuring out what to do, since he will likely finish 8th grade math this year with this plan. Hopefully she's around next year!

Wow!!!! This is an amazing accommodation. Wahoo for public school. I wish I could remember the acronym...was it dok?... drooling on my keyboard!

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Yeah, we've been very lucky (and very happy) with this school! Sometimes it's hard to come up with a solution, but they keep at it until they do.

What's really amazing is that DS is the one breaking them in on the whole thing -- they really have never had a kid like him, ever. They have a GT program, but it's ordinary GT, not like him. In fact, I was shocked last week to hear that they have never sent an elementary kid to the middle school for anything! But in spite of that, they don't treat it as a thing like "it's never happened, so it never will." It's just a matter of what is right for this kid, not what's been right for others. And as soon as he started first grade (after they gave him the WJIII and skipped him over kindergarten), they started educating themselves on his type of GT and the 2E things, reading books and going to seminars and everything. So he's been a trailblazer for anybody else who comes along behind him!

C
    C
    Wow, Nautigal, that's fantastic. Wonderful to hear about a school where people have the open-mindedness, and the energy, to do what's right for an individual student. I bet that attitude is paying off for plenty of other children there, too. Our school is being great, too; pity it's so rare.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM