Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #109903 08/21/11 03:37 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Anyone out there want to share their child�s EPGY experience?

My DD8 began EPGY through open enrollment in June. We started her at Grade 3.5 in both Math and Language Arts and Writing. She is now at Grade 6.0 with 97% percent correct in Language Arts and Writing and at a Grade 4.72 level in Math with 95% percent correct.

I know DD had some initial obstacles with the Geometry portion of math, but I think that was because we started her at a midgrade level. She is typically stronger in Math, but has been slower to advance in EPGY Math (because of the geometry stumpers with vague directions). I actually looked at some of the problems and the directions are really vague, which really frustrated DD. (She doesn�t like getting answers wrong.) Does anyone out there have a similar experience?

Also, can anyone point me to statistics on how kids typically perform in EPGY? Thank you.

TX G Mom #109910 08/21/11 04:36 PM
    Our ds did some of the geometry stuff a couple years back and the instructions were lacking as to how to answer things, that I do recall.
    I signed him up for the epgy algebra course and he liked it, did well with it, really well, although I did let him peter out at the end since summer had hit full-stride.
    The explanations there were perfect, but I think that is a lot easier to convey than geometry!
    I would absolutely recommend the beginning algebra course, however someone here did note it is a bit incomplete -- not really a solid substitute for a full algebra course. I do think it has given him insight to his own abilities and that is what I was hoping for.

TX G Mom #109945 08/22/11 09:49 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by TX G Mom

My DD8 began EPGY through open enrollment in June. We started her at Grade 3.5 in both Math and Language Arts and Writing. She is now at Grade 6.0 with 97% percent correct in Language Arts and Writing and at a Grade 4.72 level in Math with 95% percent correct.

My children also advance faster per session in reading than math. I think that a child who concentrates for 20 minutes and gets most of the questions right will advance a smaller fraction of a grade in math (maybe 0.01 to 0.02) vs. reading (up to 0.05). Since I think children should spend as much time on language arts as math, I conclude that EPGY language arts should not be the primary language arts curriculum in the way EPGY math can serve as the primary math curriculum. Children need to read and write a lot, independent of EPGY.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    TX G Mom #109947 08/22/11 10:07 AM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by TX G Mom

We had almost the same experience with our ds when he was eight, at the two months mark he was almost at exact point as your dd, after four months he reached Grade 5 in math. His problem was pace and repetition in math. We had to ask several times to reduce repetition, but still he was at 98% and very frustrated. So we discontinued using EPGY.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent