Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://www.futurity.org/science-technology/kids-with-number-sense-excel-in-math/
    Kids with �number sense� excel in math
    JOHNS HOPKINS (US) � Add it up: Evidence shows math ability is as much an inborn talent as artistry or athleticism.

A new study concludes the strength of a child�s primitive �number sense� is strongly predictive of the level of the math skills he or she learns.

�Number sense� is a skill that allowed hunter-gatherers to ascertain�without counting or calculation�where they could find the most nuts, plants, or game. It allows modern humans, at a glance, to estimate the number of open seats in a movie theater or the number of people in a crowded meeting.

The link between number sense�also known as �approximate number system,� or ANS�and ability to master formal mathematics already has been established in adolescents. The new study is the first to examine the role of �number sense� in children too young to already have had substantial formal mathematics instruction, says lead study author Melissa Libertus, a post-doctoral fellow in the psychological and brain sciences department at Johns Hopkins University.

�The relationship between �number sense� and math ability is important and intriguing because we believe that �number sense� is universal, whereas math ability has been thought to be highly dependent on culture and language and take many years to learn,� Libertus says. �Thus, a link between the two is surprising and raises many important questions and issues, including one of the most important ones, which is whether we can train a child�s number sense with an eye to improving his future math ability.�

For its study, published online in a recent issue of Developmental Science, the team tested 200 4-year-old (on average) children on several tasks measuring number sense, mathematical ability and verbal ability. The children were rewarded for their participation with small trinkets, such as stickers and pencils.

To assess their number sense, researchers asked the children to view flashing groups of blue and yellow dots on a computer screen and estimate which color was more numerous. Counting wasn�t an option, both because the dots were flashed so quickly and because most of the children were not yet skilled counters. Some comparisons were easy (like five yellow versus 10 blue dots). Others were much harder (like five yellow versus six blue dots). A test similar to the one administered to the children is available at Panmath.

The children also were given a standardized test of early mathematics ability that measures numbering skills (verbally counting items on a page), number-comparison (determining which of two spoken number words is greater or lesser), numeral literacy (reading Arabic numbers), mastery of number facts (such as addition or multiplication), calculation skills (solving written addition and subtraction problems), and number concepts (such as answering how many sets of 10 are in 100.) This standardized test is often given to children between the ages of 3 and 8 years.

Lastly, parents and guardians of the children were asked to indicate each word on a list that their children had been heard to say. Libertus says this verbal test was administered because language and math abilities are to some extent linked through general intelligence, and the researchers wanted to make sure that the differences in math ability that they found were not just due to some children performing better on all kinds of tasks or to some children feeling more comfortable being tested than others.

Libertus and colleagues Lisa Feigenson and Justin Halberda found the precision of children�s estimations correlated with their math skill. That is, the children who could make the finest-grained estimations in the dot comparison task (for example, judging correctly that eight yellow dots were more than seven blue dots) also knew the most about Arabic numerals and arithmetic.

According to the researchers, this means that inborn numerical estimation abilities are linked to achievement (or lack thereof) in mathematics.

�Previous studies testing older children left open the possibility that differences in instructional experience is what caused the difference in their number sense; in other words, that some children tested in middle or high school looked like they had better number sense simply because they had had better math instruction,� Libertus said. �Unlike those studies, this one shows that the link between �number sense� and math ability is already present before the beginning of formal math instruction.�

<end of excerpt>

Here is the NYT article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/science/16obmath.html
    In Future Math Whizzes, Signs of �Number Sense�
    By SINDYA N. BHANOO
    New York Times
    August 11, 2011

Children as young as 3 have a �number sense� that may be correlated with mathematical aptitude, according to a new study.

Melissa Libertus, a psychologist at Johns Hopkins University, and colleagues looked at something called �number sense,� an intuition � not involving counting � about the concepts of more and less. It exists in all people, Dr. Libertus said, including infants and indigenous peoples who have had no formal education.

The researchers measured this intuition in preschoolers by displaying flashing groups of blue and yellow dots on a computer screen. The children had to estimate which group of dots was larger in number. Since the display was fleeting, they had to use their number sense rather than count the dots.

Children with a better number sense were also better at simple math problems the researchers posed. The children were asked to count the number of images on a page out loud, read Arabic numbers and make other simple calculations.

Previous studies have shown that there is a connection between number sense and mathematical ability in adolescents. But this is the first study to explore the connection in children with little formal education.

<end of excerpt>

The paper abstract is at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-7687.2011.01080.x/abstract . The Panamath site to measure "Approximate Number System (ANS) aptitude" is at http://www.panamath.org/testyourself.php .

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    B
    B
    Thanks for posting this. I had a sense of deja vu reading it and was able to find a NYT article on a similar study by the same group in a different age group. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/16/science/16angi.html

The data you get after taking the test are well explained. I'm thinking of using DS5 as a guinea pig...

C
    C
    Hmm, interesting, but colour me unconvinced that anything terribly informative is necessarily going on here. (Disclaimer: I have not read the full paper.)

This "number sense" which seems to be basically subitising is very highly trainable including in babies. I've failed to google up evidence of what I remember, but I'm sure I have seen experiments in which experimenters easily and quickly teach small babies (6 months?) to subitise (i.e. tell exactly how many objects are present without counting) way above the range in which adults can do it, over 50 objects IIRR. They used flash cards and I think I recall that they did check that it wasn't only that the child learned those particular cards, i.e., could still do the task when the arrangement and type of object was novel.

Therefore, the idea that measuring how well a 4yo does this tells you something about how that child was born is dubious: the child's experiences so far may easily have had a strong effect on how the child performs.

For example, children who for whatever reason are interested in, or have been deliberately exposed to, mathematics might well have developed their subitising abilities beyond the average.

So given that what they've found is a correlation between number sense aged 4 and maths skills aged 4, the headline might just as well have been Kids who excel in math have �number sense� which might not have attracted so much attention!

I suppose I see this as basically a negative finding. It would have been much more interesting if they had found that number sense age 4 did not predict mathematical skill age 4, but did predict mathematical skill age 14, for example.

If anyone has read the full paper, I'd be interested to know whether that sheds more light...

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM