Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Link to site with survey: http://parentsofgiftedchildren.com/

B
    B
    Thank you, Cathy. That was actually somewhat cathartic!

This is interesting.

I'm on another board and just today had a post "supposedly" by Leftfield Pictures (of Pawn Star, etc. fame) put up and then hastily deleted (?) asking the members if they wanted to answer a casting call for a show about raising gifted kids. The production company name is legitimate, but I don't know if the post was.

My knee-jerk reaction was one of horror. Can you imagine a tv show similar to "Toddlers and Tiaras" about parents who "think" their kids are gifted and/or hothouse?

I hope this is a legitimate research project and the information gleaned will be beneficial to children!

(Not saying it isn't, just cautious.)

M
    M
    Being in Australia I am fairly confident of the legitimacy but confess I did not contact the university to verify before filling it out.

C
    C
    It's legit: or at least, there is a PhD student of that name studying parenting gifted children under the supervision of a supervisor of that name at the university where the survey info says they are. I mean, conceivably someone took advantage of that fact to post a bogus survey under their names, but that seems unlikely to say the least :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    It's legit: or at least, there is a PhD student of that name studying parenting gifted children under the supervision of a supervisor of that name at the university where the survey info says they are. I mean, conceivably someone took advantage of that fact to post a bogus survey under their names, but that seems unlikely to say the least :-)

Thanks for looking into that. I wonder if anyone has contacted her directly to ask?

G
    G
    Hi, she's a member of another forum I am on (I don't know her personally, but she seems to exist!)

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    W
    W
    I started the survey but then it went on for pages about my mental and emotional health and I thought it did not have that much to do with gifted children. I think she was looking to see how stressed we were on raising our gifted children and I wasn't interested in going there.

Ren

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I started the survey but then it went on for pages about my mental and emotional health and I thought it did not have that much to do with gifted children. I think she was looking to see how stressed we were on raising our gifted children and I wasn't interested in going there.
    That's clearly her research topic yes: it's about the experience of *parenting* gifted kids, not about about the kids. I thought the advance information was clear enough about this, and I found it interesting to complete (not least because I currently feel very positive and well-supported in parenting DS and it was pleasant to bring this to the front of my mind!) but yes, people who don't want to talk about how they feel parenting a giftie should steer clear.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by Wren
    That's clearly her research topic yes: it's about the experience of *parenting* gifted kids, not about about the kids. I thought the advance information was clear enough about this, and I found it interesting to complete (not least because I currently feel very positive and well-supported in parenting DS and it was pleasant to bring this to the front of my mind!) but yes, people who don't want to talk about how they feel parenting a giftie should steer clear.

I took the survey, and found the questions re: my mental health pretty extreme. Even though I would have responded to the survey differently last year, when I was very stressed and upset re: unsuccessful advocacy, it seemed to me the questions were geared more toward finding out if people suffered from clinical depression.

I was happy to discover while filling out the survey that we're in a very good place since switching our son to a school for HG kids, which is finally a good fit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM