Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    We are in the process of trying to get DD13 entering 8th grade into a college class. She attends a 7 -12 grade school but they will not allow her to access the high school classes except her Algebra II class. She can however create classes with extra paperwork so we are trying to bypass the no high school classes problem by creating an independent class using the college class. We have contacted three teachers at the university and two have responded enthusiastically. We have not broken the news that she is an eighth grader as I thought we should meet them first. She looks and acts much older than an eighth grader. They are making an assumption that she is a high school student. It looks like we will have an appointment with the astronomy teacher on Wed. Looking for suggestions of what to say etc. to persuade this teacher or any other to give this a try.

Our daughter took college classes at the same time. She was 12 when we went through the process of getting her into a community college (our only choice here) and she was 13 when she took an English course. At 14, she took a computer course. She made high "A"s in both.

We are looking at what to do now that she will be a high school freshman.

We had to go through a process of having the middle school principal, college teacher, and college VPs signing a document for "under 16" rule in Colorado.

The only issues (which were non-issues for us) were discussions and other students that were of a sexual nature. I knew going into it that this would be an issues and our daughter was fine with it. She hears worse at middle school anyway.

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    How did you find out about the Under 16 rule? What kind of paper did you have to sign? Did you create the paper? I am assuming it is something to do with release of harm.

I am assuming we will also have those kinds of discussions with personnel and them warning us of the terrain... and am also not worried.... Thanks for your response.. Its exciting as it seems a way for her to be excited by learning again and maybe to meet some intellectual peers.... and I am nervous. To get this far and then have a no will be a disappointment for sure.

I think that the 'rules' are often made up on the spot. If the professors are willing then it should be fine. One thing to think about is if you want to audit the class (graded but it doesn't turn up on transcripts) or take the class for credit.

I hope it works out, and smoothly too. It sounds like a wonderful idea.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Explain the age discrimination situation at the HS and then let her sell herself.

If she really wants to move ahead, and the professors want to do it, then its really up to them.

She may just want to GED out and go onto college.

Once I started asking, I found out about the "under 16" rule. I was given the form by the VP and then set out to get the approvals. It wasn't hard since she had passed the tests to get into school.

I work at the college so I know a little bit about it all.

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Well the meeting is in the morning.... I have a found a form that is required for secondary students meaning 9 -12. I had already been told that students in grades less than 9 could have an instructor sign a student in if they want. I am not sure how wide spread that knowledge is. It is not an age thing because if you have skipped a grade or had early entrance you could go... The instructor has been very receptive as have two others. I guess we will see how it goes in the morning....

Ellipses - did your daughter make friends in the college classes?

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    We had the meeting this morning and it went very well. He is going to check the amount of trig. needed and if there is room in the class he will let her in!!!! It is held in a planetarium and there are a limited amount of seats. Degree seeking students have priority to the class and as it stands right now the class is full. However, on the second week of classes if a space becomes available and DD13 is there and there is no degree seeking student trying to add the class, then she gets the spot. He also said that if there is no spot he will create a project for her to do within the planetarium which we can make into an independent study class!!!! It was pretty sweet, prior to the meeting we went to a park so that DD2 could play. Well DD13 played to.. I wondered what would happen if the professor could see her ten minutes prior to the meeting. She still has a lot of kid in her but is able to act according to environment. Tomorrow we meet with an English professor.....

Great news, flower!! The professor sounds great -- so encouraging! I'm so happy that your DD gets to have that experience. Good luck tomorrow with the English professor!

She thought she could, so she did.
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    So we met with the English professor who has the same dilemma for overly full classes but is more than willing to take DD13 if the class has openings. However, she checked with the Dean who said that the registrar would have to approve it and is against giving any resources with overly full classes to non-degree seeking students. UGH!! I had already called the registrar and had been told if the teacher is willing then we would have no problem, but did not get that in writing etc. as it seemed as a quiet little known tid bit of information. So I guess I will be chasing down the registrar next week....sometimes its hard to know how hard to push and I do not want to put the English teacher in a bad situation with her department etc. etc. But I do want a class or two that my dd will enjoy and feel is worth her time and effort!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM