Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    My husband was so ready to teach him all about sports, fishing, camping, fixing cars, working in the yard, all kinds of guy things they could do together.

I'm wondering what I'm going to do if my son wants to do any of those things.

I'm already bored out of my mind, in general.

Having to do any of those "guy things", which are things I actively avoid at all costs, is going to be complete torture.

L
    L
    maybe getting DH a book on EQ... I believe studies show that it is a better measure of "success"... and what is "success" in DH's eyes?

I also think Habits of Mind. Great for everyone.

My DH & I continually remind each other that we tend to get most frustrated and least accepting when there is some thread of our own agenda/ego tied up with the outcomes/expectations of our children.

I try to make our home the "safe place to fall" - where the kids know that they can simply be who they are, not who I may want them to be!!!

And if it's too hard for me, then I need to look in the mirror!

S
    S
    Grandpa-football coach

dh-lover of the arts

ds11-hates most sports (has found one that is a passion but not something dh or grandpa ever did), enjoys being an audience member but no desire to perform at all in any type of arts.

ds6-very confident that he will form a boy band soon, win AGT, wants to take piano lessons, loves dance, acting and singing. Pretty dramatic 24/7. Actually will try about any sport too but not passionate about them.

I guess my point is that everyone has their passions and finds their own path. Many times it isn't a rejection of the father, just being true to who the son is.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    My husband was so ready to teach him all about sports, fishing, camping, fixing cars, working in the yard, all kinds of guy things they could do together.

I'm wondering what I'm going to do if my son wants to do any of those things.

I'm already bored out of my mind, in general.

Having to do any of those "guy things", which are things I actively avoid at all costs, is going to be complete torture.

When you see something thru your child's eyes it can take on a whole new interest for you. Even going to the grocery store can be interesting if you get creative.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM