Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dear Ones,
    I'm a grown up and I love playing games. As a parent I've seen how playing games can help smooth out some bumps for my gifted son. I'll share two of my favorites, and perhaps you can add yours to the list. I think that anytime a child is having fun, that it is healing for them. (Adults too) Many gifted children seem to especially enjoy games that are challenging in some way, or frankly educational.

My niece recently showed us a new party game, "Who Am I?"

players needed:4 or more

One player is the judge, one is the narrator. this will rotate each round of play.

The Judge makes up a question, such as "If you were a superhero what would your name be and what would your costume be like? or "If you were an atom, which one would you be and name three things you'd like to do." "If you could travel to any country, which one would you choose and say three things you would see there."

All the players, except the judge, (including the narrator) write down their responses, and hand them to the narrator. The narrator reads them all. The Judge wins points for every correct identification of who wrote which answer. After the Judge gives her opinion, then all the players indicate what their real answer was. It pays to be tricky in this game, and make yourself seem like another player to the Judge. Much laughter follows. (Some families don't keep track of the points, some write them down.)

If kids play with Adults, then they delight in making their writing as Adultlike as possible, to stump the Judge. Some pg kids (and adults, now that I think about it, including me) seem to be particularly challenged at changing channels between their 'perspective' and other people's 'perspective.' This game rewards doing that twice, once to copy a fellow player, then to psych out the current Judge.

Another game that is a great favorite in our house is "Apples to Apples" (adult version- with the rule that Mom can throw out (permanently) any green cards that offend her, and kids can hand in any red cards that they don't know about. This also teaches the value of seeing things from another's perspective, this time the Judge's. It also introduces vocabulary words and cultural history. We were on such a roll with this game that we played it without the cards while waiting for things.

This also is great practice at speeding up some of our perfectionist/introverts/deep thinkers because as the game gets more funny, everyone laughs and loosens up. In a way this celebrates relationships because to truly know another's perspective is part of being close.

Apples to Apples without the cards:
    Need at least 3 to play: First Judge picks an adjective. Players think of a noun or noun phrase that the judge will believe best matches her adjective, on a purely subjective basis. Who ever "wins" that round becomes the next judge. No score seems to be needed to be kept.

If any of you dear ones enjoy these games over the comming holidays consider it my holiday gift to you! (smile)

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    L
    Trinity thanks! I'll try them at our first gathering of gifted kids coming up next month!

F
    F
    Here is one I did for my son when he was little.

We don't like the idea of giving out too much candy, etc. at Easter. (Some, fine...live a little, but no kid needs too much of that sort of thing and it is not a regular thing in our home.) What we did was assemble a jigsaw when he wasn't looking and then take a small group of pieces which will fit with each other in some way and put them in plastic eggs which we then hid. With more an one kid, this even becomes a joint/cooperative activity instead of a competitive one. The reward is the completed puzzle, which might even have a special message on it.

Instead of using Easter eggs, this can also be done "treasure hunt" style where the small pouches of pieces are hidden in places indicated on a map or to be found by clues. (This is really easy to adapt for each individual/age/level. I have a friend who hides the main present of his young teenager geocache style and makes him find it with a handheld GPS every year. lol!)

My kids love SETTLERS OF CATAN. It is a board game that you can build upon. Best for 3-4 players.
    Ania

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We've been playing "killer Bunnies" - funny, but not for the faint of heart.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    G
    G
    Our favorites include quirkle, gobblet, and duck, duck, animal.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    We've been playing "killer Bunnies" - funny, but not for the faint of heart.

Let's hear more...never heard of this one.

Charades around here! Easy to explain and really hilarious to see in action.

I
    I
    Love the puzzle pieces in the Easter eggs idea and will be stealing it!

Growing up we played a game called "Dictionary." We would pass around a big dictionary and find a word that no one knew the definition. The person with the dictionary would write the real definition and everyone else would write made up definitions. Then all the definitions were read out loud and we'd vote for the best choice. You'd get points if people believed your definition and also style points for the funniest one.

My favorite was horripilation. The true definition is goosebumps but someone made up "the horrible ripping off of lips." grin

O
    O
    My kids and I made up a scavenger hunt for DH for his birthday this year. This is a great fun thinking activity to come up with clues. We made rhymes. This could even turn into a graphic design project on the computer. We had DH find five lottery tickets. It was so fun that we may make it a tradition. DH said leave dollar bill next time because he didn't win. I'll have to come up with something better to find for next time.

My DD6's Bday party did a game of heads up 7 up. The kids just loved that. You can google for directions if you never played.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM