Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Dd will be 8 in October and this current obsession is lasting quite a long time. In fact, when she was about 4 she drew all the planets, cut them out and I hung them on our wall. I only recently took them down and threw them out. Now I wish I hadn't! frown

We're taking her to our planetarium on Saturday for the first time. She's beside herself with joy.

Any other ideas/suggestions are much appreciated!

S
    S
    Have you explored NASA website? They have tons of posters and materials for educators.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    Have you explored NASA website? They have tons of posters and materials for educators.

I had forgotten that I have it on my iPod. I will check out the site for free stuff. Thanks!

F
    F
    We checked out about 15 solar system books from the library. We learned facts about each planet and the asteroid belt. We also watched the shuttle launch and discussed it. The planetarium sounds great as does the NASA website.

Originally Posted by Terrilth
    We're taking her to our planetarium on Saturday for the first time. She's beside herself with joy.

Same here, some obsessions come and go, not space.

On tv: NOVA and NOVA now and national geographic channel has great stuff
    Books: Brainwaves
    She might be too old for this one Lift the flap space book
    In fiction, George is the best, George and the secret key to the universe

Also our planetarium gift shop had awesome books

And the ultimate - the Kennedy space center in Florida, was fantastic, plus there are
    now going to be shuttles in 5 places, so happy NYC is getting one.

I hope other people have good nonfiction suggestions, I am always stumped, most books seem to offer the same information. Just got one about searching for the goldilocks planet - there is a lot of new stuff on the demotion of Pluto, hunt for exoplanets, from picture books to more advanced telling of the discoveries.

I would love a good textbook but since most schools below college don't do separate years on space I doubt there is one, hmm but now I am thinking I should see what's out there.

This was on the NASA site Activities

And if thinking about an iPad or have one, there are TONS of awesome space, solar system apps, some are really quite beautiful

Also magic school bus has a nice space science kit.

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 08/04/11 06:50 PM.
    N
    N
    This site was recently given to me for my space obsessed 10 y.o. daughter:

http://www.zooniverse.org/projects

She has literally spent hours since then going through the different categories.

Our daughter has been obsessed with space since she was 2 and it's showing no sign of ever abating. Her knowledge level is going to make her first year at highschool an interesting one to work out though as they study the solar system in first term - and she's more interested in the theory of black holes smile

Nat

B
    B
    We have a very inexpensive telescope (<$35) with very nice optics that we got here: https://www.galileoscope.org/. With a sturdy tripod and some practise you can see 4 moons of jupiter, rings of Saturn, and the moon looks spectacular. Very satisfying and not huge expense. They also have stargazing projects at the site that are designed for the telescopes capabilities.

It's been suggested to me that several wonderful movies about space exploration are nearly suitable for kids (or suitable for some kids) including From the Earth to the Moon, but we haven't watched any yet.

You might also search around for NASA installations or research centers in a days driving radius. In traveling recently I've come across several that I wasn't aware existed, and they all had programs and tours for visitors

Dehe, can you say suggest some space/solar system apps? or post them to the iPad app thread of a few days ago? smile

T
    T
    APOD on the ipad is a really great app to see all kinds of solar system pictures in great detail. All my kids love looking at the pictures that are put on there...they are really amazing, and if you tap on them, it turns up a corner with a ton of detail on what the picture is and other detailed info.

Its Astronomy Pictures of the Day.

T
    T
    I'd recommend a couple of songs by Christine Lavin--"Planet X" and "If We Had No Moon." You can find them on YouTube or buy them on iTunes. There's a neat video on YouTube set to the music for "If We Had No Moon".

"Planet X" is about Pluto--it's a little outdated, but full of great info regardless. Plus, I have to say that the fact that she can set the phrase "International Astronomical Union Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature" to a catchy tune makes her one of my personal heroes.

"Planet X" lyrics: http://www.christinelavin.com/index...her_Really_Does_Know_Best&display=35

"If We Had No Moon" video:

S
    S
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    Originally Posted by Terrilth

I would love a good textbook but since most schools below college don't do separate years on space I doubt there is one, hmm but now I am thinking I should see what's out there.

Agree about George!
    In FL there are middle and high school Earth Space classes and there are textbooks for those levels.

I guess Pearson has one...

http://www.imarksweb.net/book/pearson+high+school+earth+space+textbook/

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM