Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Trading. You make the money you make. As fast or slow as you make it. But it is hard for a woman to trade. Women tend to be risk averse. So they make see the trade but have a hard time picking up the phone and executing. Or pushing the button.

I trade swing trades at the tops and bottoms of markets generally. I love economics and love the market (as a game), but there really isn't anything in it that does anyone any good these days.

With the markets all priced to return 0% real for the indefinite future, there's no future in trading.

W
    W
    There is always a market to trade. Whether it is stocks, oil, sugar, India, the SF. But I disagree with you about potential. I think there is real potential today to make money.

Ren

I wanna trade. I'm gonna trade but stuff keeps coming up. Another baby. Another midwife bill. The loss of my grandfather, but the opportunity to spend his last couple of months with him. Eh, maybe when the kids start school. http://www.boomandbustinvestor.com/pages/bnb/BNB3.php?pub=BNB&code=EBNBM702
    This link is not intended as an advertisement.
    I do not buy stuff the sovereign society sells.
    I get their free newsletter where they try to sell me stuff,
    and sometimes I like what they say. I get several other
    free e-mail ads from other companies. DOn't buY ThEir StuFF because I posted it here. I Don'T buy their stuff.

Ne-way.... I like this review that the economy goes in 50 year cycles. Right now the baby-boomers over-populated generation have left the money-making workforce, cashed in everything, including their big houses to find their retirement. Now instead of consuming, contributing to the economy their large mass is cashing in, drawing resources away from the economy. Supposedly that's something similar to something in Japan's past...

Just sayin' 'cause it's cool! I'm not advising Arabian investments or advertising the sales of sovereign society products. No, luconu, I'm not putting all these warnings because of that one thread, I'm putting all these warnings because it has to do with investment. I would endorse other investment things including babypips . Com. But I would not endorse what I'm posting here. I just posted a cool POV.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by Wren
    There is always a market to trade. Whether it is stocks, oil, sugar, India, the SF. But I disagree with you about potential. I think there is real potential today to make money.

Ren

An indivdual can always make money trading.

I was speaking about the financial industry as a whole. We pretty much hit peak trading in 2007 with the credit market bust.

Last edited by JonLaw; 08/02/11 06:17 PM.
    W
    W
    The financial industry has its peaks and troughs. There is always some "fashionable investment" that busts. I remember Prudential (since I was a head of auto research at the time) had a group where they took investments that used to be tax deferred and made them high yield and sold them to everyone without due diligence. That department was swimming in money -- until they got hit with a 800 million fine. And that is the way they go but this time, they got money from the fed instead of fines with this whole securitization business. Always there was a fine and clean up after the scam.

This time the whole country will pay. But that doesn't mean individuals, and gifted people should have an advantage to think out of the box, to make it big. Hence, gifted people have a real advantage in the difficult years to come. Consumer spending was really down -- yesterday's posting and resulting 265 point down in the Dow. That is a leading indicator of not good things to come.

Ren

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Breakaway4
    What makes me feel good about myself is doing a job I like and excelling at it. But then I have to feel bad about myself because it makes everyone else uncomfortable. Maybe I am a man trapped in a women's body...ahhhhhhhhhhh...no.

So where Ren can a woman kick ass AND feel good? Anyone out there have that experience?

I have become resigned to the fact that I will only be happy owning my own business. I'm currently managing and writing for my websites. So, I'd say I can only kick ass and feel good by working from home, for myself. (Though, sometimes I wish I was doing research at a university somewhere. But I hear the politics suck pretty badly and there is a lot of pressure to do the right sort of research and get lots of grants and publish things all the time...)

I went back to college because I was tired of working low wage jobs (and I put college on hold after I worked for myself as a bookkeeper for awhile and noticed my climbing college debt.)

I strongly dislike working in jobs where they break down each step to every process to the point where a monkey could do it. I know that is probably just these corporate low wage jobs and I get why they do it, but it can bring a person to tears... of boredom.

I also HATE those false "worker morale" programs they set up. I do not want a gold star for customer service and I am your low paid wage slave you won't offer health insurance to, not a member of the "team."

Maybe I just have a bad attitude, though. smile
    I have been "talked to" about this before.

I had a female manager at a popular coffee shop who hired almost all females to work there. I was kind of shy and didn't talk much and the other girls decided I was stuck up. The manager had a talk with me and told me she wanted us all the be friends at the job. Wth? I didn't get a job to make friends. I sometimes feel like I am from another planet.

Last edited by islandofapples; 08/03/11 05:21 PM.
    N
    N
    I get the feeling like an alien bit. I'm a 2nd year PhD (Clin Psych) student with a cohort of 12. I'm not there to make friends either and am written off by the others as not being sociable. Hopefully working with gifted kids and their families in private practice once I finish the doctorate will stop work issues in the past that have been mentioned here (working too quickly for others, doing things the 'wrong' way etc etc).

Nat

My sister and I just had the "where oh where are all the others like us" conversation. So grateful for my sister and all of you as well.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM