Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    To Grinity, etc.-- re: homeschooling, not an option simply b/c I don't feel up to the challenge with two very active, highly intelligent boys whose main objective appears to be trying to drive me nuts while getting a dig in at each other! No, for the sake of all of us, they need to go to school. Even if I thought I could enforce the "school day", they will quickly be beyond my abilities in math as I am only verbally gifted. I missed the math truck smile. My chem engineer dh contributed that particular gene.

Taminy--I'll definitely keep that idea in mind when we have the DEP meetings. I most definitely will object to my boys doing below level work before getting to the level they can learn at. Given the extensive policy of our county, that was drafted with James Delisle as the chief architect, I believe the law and intent is on my side. I just not all that patient. At all.

Shannon L.

L
    L
    this sounds exactly like my DS8. mildly gifted and higher in math with no support from school to find proper challenges within classroom and no chance of subject acceleration.

Last year in grade 2 we took him out ONE afternoon a week where I homeschooled. I found a great online program (not for gifted) and we worked through the 3rd grade curriculum, some 4th and 5th.

It was great, b/c I could "test" him, not recreate the wheel for him but find that which really challenged him. Seeing his ability in full force was amazing - to see what he really could do. This is what continues to fuel me when I feel I'm up against a brick wall.

This year, he'll start G&T formally but even so, we are planning on ONE morning a week (maybe 45 min.) where I can teach new concepts.

It keeps his enthusiasm up b/c he earns rewards for "best efforts" and he's challenged. I think his response after our first HS was, "I have NEVER learned so much."

HS does seem daunting, but once you get a hold of what you need and can do, it falls into place. I'm happy to share more in depth what we used and how I got the standards to be sure what he was doing was in line with the State.

Cheers.

M
    M
    sblora, don't feel bad about the homeschooling. We did it last year, and I'm not doing it again. While my son learned far more than he would have, he didn't look at the opportunity he had as a way to learn more, he looked at it as a way to just do what he wanted, in his time and we butted heads for 6 long months.

I think it takes a special kind to homeschool and I'm perfectly ok to admit that we are not that kind.

I hope your ds's situation turns around soon. My ds6 is starting 1st grade and I know there will be major bumps along the way but I'm ready to face each challenge as it comes.
    good luck.

O
    O
    So sorry you are dealing with school not meeting your childs needs. It is a good sign that they are testing him.

We were in a similar situation and switched schools. You might try to ask around and see if any other parents have had good results with the school making adjustments.

Even gifted teachers are not always educated on what the PG kids need. Sometimes schools just don't get it, even if they are caring. I actually had a principal say, It's ok if it's easy for him.

I suggest encouraging your child to work on being his best self at school so, the school thinks he is mature and might be more likely to give opportunities.

One option that may work is Homeschool for 1 or 2 subjects. You might be able to do an online course and that could take the pressure off you. My private school would not allow his but, I've heard of others here doing this.

Best Wishes and hugs.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/03/11 08:09 PM.
    S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. Yesterday, my son came home practically tripping over himself to tell me he'd finished all his work. He meant THAT day's work not the overdue, unfinished work, but was still quite proud that he'd gotten through it. He was supposed to be working on the uncompleted classwork during the morning when the other kids were out playing (not recess--just extra morning activity), evidently it was to be done on the playground. Can you guess how much was completed??? Yeah, about 5 problems in two days. I told him he needs to get a move on about it and wanted him to do some along with his homework (easy stuff). Something must have gotten to him b/c that kid sat down after me chasing him down all afternoon (during younger son's playdate) and not only did some of the work but almost finished it. It took him about an hour of just writing it down--that's how much there was!

I was so proud of him and his change in attitude. He said he "liked doing it, well, not so much doing it but getting it done. And, I kinda liked doing it too." Mostly, he had a huge sense of accomplishment from having this hanging over his head and now most of it was finished. Yay! Also, his AIG teacher pulled him out to talk to him about why he's having to do this work right now, why it's important to their evaluation of his needs. I could kiss her. I think something in the way she said it, hit home for him.

Shannon L.

Great News Shannon!
    I hope he has many more times to experience the thrill of accomplishment!
    What a relief to see some positives.
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM