Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I'm nervous, mostly about whether DS6's new teacher will be supportive or dismissive, and about what sort of enrichment our son is going to receive. In the end, though, I am starting to think he'll be all right no matter what; in the end we may have to consider some radical options but the most important thing is that he stay happy enough to be able to learn.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    N
    N
    I'm a little worried about ds8 going into 3rd grade - I though I knew who his teacher was going to be (he went to her class for math last year) - but that might have changed. The principal had put a bunch of particular kids in her class, but she told him that she'll be on maternity leave in Jan, and thought it might not be good for those kids to have a sub for so long. So - not sure if he's still in her class. Last year she was out for 3 months, as she had a baby who was then very sick. His 2nd grade teacher was also out on maternity leave during the school year. It WOULD be nice to have his teachers there the whole year this year. I also don't know which class he'll go to for math, I don't know any of the 4th grade teachers. I just hope that the two teachers (3rd and 4th) have got their act together to co-ordinate their classes, so they both have math at the same time. That has happened the past couple of years, and it makes it so much easier for ds to switch from one class to the other. Ah well - only 3 weeks and we'll know what's going on :):)

B
    B
    I am very nervous for DS10. I still haven't recovered from his 4th grade experience. Not sure how he is feeling; I'm afraid to ask.

I am hoping, sort of, that he gets placed in the blended 5/6 classroom, so he can "eavesdrop" on the 6th grade lessons and perhaps actually learn something, and get to know the older kids; but then again, he is not much of an independent worker and may catch plenty of trouble for his distractability.

Sigh.

M
    M
    I'm trying not to be nervous this year. But, once again I find myself second guessing our educational decisions. DD9 was evaluated in the spring for a grade skip. They did the Iowa Acc. Scale. She came out as a good candidate, but we ultimately opted not to do the skip. She will have the only teacher in the district who is licensed for GT. Supposedly, she is wonderful. So, we opted to stay in fourth grade and do subject acceleration for math and reading. I think the high expectations for this fantastic teacher are making me more anxious in a strange way. I hope we didn't make the wrong decision. I guess if it isn't working, we can re-evaluate and move her later.

DD5 is starting K. She is already reading a little bit, but really seems to be a mathy kid. She counts forward, backward, adds, subtracts, etc. I suspect she'll end up in the same ballpark as her sister with regard to IQ. However, she is a totally different kid... Easygoing, rolls with the punches, super social. I would say she is more "pleasantly" gifted. I'm thinking (hoping) that she will have an easier time with school because of her personality.

How will DD9 do with this wonderful GT teacher and her subject acceleration, and how will DD5 handle K? We shall see. I'm trying not to worry!

M
    M
    yes. Ds6 did an online school for k but did 1st grade. We enrolled him in a decent school this year and in 1st grade, so he's ahead, repeating 1st grade. It should be an interesting year. He starts in 12 days....yikes...we are excited and nervous at the same time.

I suppose the reason I'm nervous is because this is the first time our son has gone to school.

He's 4.6 and will be in preschool held in a church. From what I can tell, he's working at a first/second grade level across the board, with exceptions in physical (riding a bike, cutting on a line...). Will he like the preschool just for the fun of seeing the same kids a couple of times a week? Since he's an only child and we live pretty remote, the social aspect of preschool was the main reason we wanted him to go.

On the sign-up sheet for the school, they asked you to describe your child. When my husband returned it, they told him that it was the most complete form they've seen. (gulp) Does that mean I'm anal? AND...prior to that, they told my husband that the "interview" he had with the school before we decided on them, contained the most amount of questions they had recent memory of being asked. (gulp, again.)

I'm nervous that he'll be disappointed in his first experience with school.

For once, I'm not nervous. I'm going with the school's proclamation to us that DS is not in school for academics, but for social reasons. I'm not expecting anything out of them, and not upset about it! I feel a lot more confident in my ability to provide him enrichment out of school and I'm going to rely on that for his education, not the gifted school smile This makes me a much happier, more relaxed mom!!!

Kate #108548 08/03/11 07:20 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by Kate
    I'm going with the school's proclamation to us that DS is not in school for academics, but for social reasons.

All I can say is wow... they aren't there to educate your child.. wow

O
    O
    I feel a bit different appoaching this year but, I can't let go of the nervous.

For several years, I was looking for teacher's to do more for my kids. I moved them to a gifted school last year and it has been better. This year, I want my kids to approach school more ambitously with better organization. I want them to really step up, even if it's not all perfect for them and show what they are capable of and take pride. They are pretty good students. I have some knowledge of promoting this desire but,I don't feel like I got it right in the past. I need to give less advice so they can figure it out, listen more and encourage the drive they already have. I also want to be a better example for them.

Somewhere, I heard "do your best and someone will notice". I think this will encourage getting more of what they need in life.

Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    Originally Posted by Kate
    I'm going with the school's proclamation to us that DS is not in school for academics, but for social reasons.

All I can say is wow... they aren't there to educate your child.. wow

Frankieandejsmom, To make it more of a "wow," this is a GIFTED school ha ha!!! I was shocked into silence when they said it to us at the end of last year, but this summer I had a change in mindset and it really helps.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM