Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #108195 07/31/11 02:14 PM
    B
    Beckee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I haven't exactly been lurking, but I don't think I ever properly introduced myself before contributing [cough] 37 posts. Guess I just jumped right in.

I either have no children or 134 children, depending on how you look at it. I am a middle school social studies teacher, and I meet my new students tomorrow. Three of them have been sort of informally identified as gifted. Many more have been identified as disabled, of course.

My career path has been a bit odd, except for lower socio-economic PG types, I guess. I've been a cashier in a convenience store, a researcher on federal contracts, an artist for a major publication, a contact rep for a federal agency, a teacher of English in Asia, and even a page-numberer.

I became a K-12 public school teacher 9 years ago. Since then, I've taught in the inner city, in a rural school where 3/4 of the students were indigenous, and now in a small town where the student population is extremely diverse (and this is not a euphemism for Black and Latino in this case).

I am taking the new GRE in a few weeks and planning to go back to graduate school (again!). Since I live in a remote state with almost nothing in the way of training for teachers of gifted students, I am interested in an online program like those at Georgia and Connecticut.

Beckee #108217 07/31/11 04:28 PM
    Hi Beckee,

I am an ex teacher. I think its great to hang around here and learn about things from 'the other side'. There are many things I would have done differently if I had been a parent wen I was a teacher.

smile Good luck with your studies.

Beckee #108221 07/31/11 04:46 PM
    M
    M
    Hi, Beckee! Jumping right in is great, too! What an interesting background you have--we'll look forward to drawing on your wealth of experience.

Best of luck with your new school year (it's showtime! as one of my colleagues used to say every September).

peace
    minnie

Beckee #108223 07/31/11 05:00 PM
    Welcome Beckee! I'm Asian and have tutored English "back home". Doesn't a stint in Asia give you an interesting perspective on things? smile Anyway, I wanted to welcome you and agree with a previous poster that your background is interesting and sounds so rich in experience! Looking forward to reading more of your posts here.

LDmom #108255 07/31/11 11:19 PM
    B
    Beckee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Y
    Originally Posted by LDmom
    Doesn't a stint in Asia give you an interesting perspective on things?

Yes. Yes it does! Every once in a blue moon, I get to explain to one of my students why their Asian parents are the way they are!

Though there's a part of me that would have enjoyed growing up where academics are so competitive, I'm also big on creativity, and might just have gotten into trouble in an Asian classroom.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations