Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #108187 07/31/11 12:45 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I just wanted to say it feels so good to read so many things that are similar to what we have been going through with our DS7. I thought for a long time we were alone in this world...no one understood...and its nice to see people talking about the same stuff we've wished we had people to talk with for years!
    We recently decided we needed more official testing done for our son to give us answers, and to use as a guide for how to proceed. He had already skipped 2nd grade and still was bored in 3rd and finished out top of the class to include standardized testing... but his behavior suffers because when hes bored he is what I refer to as a constant social butterfly...he is the ultimate extrovert (not sure where he got it from because both DH and I are introverts for the most part ). This then annoys teachers who think hes not listening to them, paying attention etc ( which he is listening, he's just able to do it without paying attention sadly ). SO...this summer I made a trip with him to be tested with the WISC-IV and the WJIII, and while there he also did the SBL-M because of hitting ceilings on 4 subtests on the WISC.
    He loved every minute of the testing...couldn't get enough of it and I've never seen him so exuberant as after the test when it was like he had finally been stimulated at his level.
    We are hoping to apply for the DYS in the near future, as I will take any help I can get with him and his schooling. With these scores, do you think I need to add anything else in, like include the SBL-M or portfolio stuff? These are the WISC
    VC - 138
    PR - 147
    WM - 135
    PS - 128
    FSIQ - 148
    GAI - 153

WJIII he is strongest in Math and had a Broad Math of 154/Brief Math 157

SBL-M IQ score was 151

Thanks for reading all this! Look forward to learning a ton from you all!

triplejmom #108189 07/31/11 01:22 PM
    I wanted to say Welcome! And to add that those are great scores in my book. smile We applied with achievement testing and a portfolio and only tested as a backup in case Davidson asked us for IQ scores. But they approved our boy without the IQ scores so I may not be the best person to advice on that. However, I can suggest that a strong and detailed-as-possible portfolio will not hurt (they may contact you to ask for more info).

Edited to add that our portfolio included a video and samples of math work. You may be able to search the archives to find what others have submitted for the portfolio.

Welcome again! And good luck!

Last edited by LDmom; 07/31/11 01:26 PM.
    triplejmom #108198 07/31/11 02:21 PM
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Hi and welcome! Just get started on the application, answering those questions. I would not include a portfolio since his scores in both IQ and achievement are very strong. If they need extra information, they would let you know....

triplejmom #108202 07/31/11 02:32 PM
    Welcome. I wouldn't bother with the SB L-M scores or portfolio. It's helpful to have gotten them so that you understand more about your child, but they shouldn't be necessary and Davidson will ask for them if they need them.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    triplejmom #108207 07/31/11 02:51 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks all for the welcome and input!

LDmom #108213 07/31/11 04:22 PM
    Originally Posted by LDmom
    I can suggest that a strong and detailed-as-possible portfolio will not hurt (they may contact you to ask for more info).

Ack! I apologize for not realizing that you mentioned he took the WJIII. I tend to focus on just Wisc scores when I see them. Please ignore whatever I said about the portfolio!

(Ducking head in embarrassment! lol)

triplejmom #108220 07/31/11 04:44 PM
    M
    M
    Hi, triplejmom, and welcome! We're glad you're here! Feel free to ask lots of questions--somebody around here is bound to know some answers.

peace
    minnie

LDmom #108229 07/31/11 05:52 PM
    I can suggest that a strong and detailed-as-possible portfolio will not hurt (they may contact you to ask for more info).

Ack! I apologize for not realizing that you mentioned he took the WJIII. I tend to focus on just Wisc scores when I see them. Please ignore whatever I said about the portfolio!

(Ducking head in embarrassment! lol)
    I meant no disrespect, dear. <3 I hadn't even read your response when I responded to the OP. A portfolio could never hurt, anyway. I just think people sometimes stress so much over getting them together, better to avoid that if possible and just get the application in.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM