Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    Mathboy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    If she's a meticulous child, not subject to impulsivity, she'll likely do extremely well on either test. I think for the long haul, she'll get more mileage in waiting for the WISC, as many educators tend to poo-poo the WPPSI, as a "preschool test" (which it is of course, but I'm not sure the results on either at roughly 6 aren't entirely comparable).
    "
    At 6, I would NOT take the WPPSI, though it can be used up to age 7. For bright kids, age 6 should open the door for the WISC.

The WPPSI might be more engaging and play like, but it also might be more degrading to an intellectual 5 year old. There are pros and cons for each test, but I personally would rather wait until 6 and take the WISC.
    "

Hi Dotti

I read some of old post and then I found this posted by you a while ago.

I was wondering by WPPSI too

My son took WPPSI-III(provied by school) when he just tured 5,
    the test did not go well because he has speech delay.
    He is very mathy boy, he strated doing long division and algebra at 4 years old..and he is 5 and 1/2 now, he finish most of primary math, sometimes he figure out high school math problem. Last night he figured out cube root of 12167 in his head

WPPSI test show he has good abstract thinking skill(probably arroud 140) but did not test his number skill and memory ..which he is really good when it comes to numbers.

So I wonder, WPPSI can tell the real IQ of kid?? especially mathmatical gifted child??Shall I get him test again?
    I feel the test result did not show his real ability.

He will be in grade 1 soon, I wonder even the GT class teacher won't understand his ability in math, I don't know what to do with my son, I feel like he will learning nothing in school about math.

Thanks!

This is a great question, I think there is some test of memory. I could not help the same as Dottie, but if you post the subtest scores that might be good...

I think the speech delay could affect his scores in all the subtests except I think there is a hands-on portion here and there, like a few puzzles; was the tester prepared beforehand with the knowledge that your child has a speech delay, and are they experienced in working with such a child?

The work you mention he is capable of is pretty amazing, but I am not sure the wppsi looks at computation at all -- no questions on 'what is zero', 'what is 2+2', and definitely NOTHING about what is the cube root of anything.

C
    C
    Dottie actually said her goodbyes here a few days ago - it's possible she'll pop up anyway, but I'll put my 2pworth in anyway in case it helps.

Originally Posted by Mathboy
    So I wonder, WPPSI can tell the real IQ of kid?? especially mathmatical gifted child??Shall I get him test again?
    I feel the test result did not show his real ability.

He will be in grade 1 soon, I wonder even the GT class teacher won't understand his ability in math, I don't know what to do with my son, I feel like he will learning nothing in school about math.
    I think that, since your son already has extraordinary achievement in maths and that's what you're concerned about, I'd focus on making sure that the school understands that. It's not obvious to me what an IQ test would add - it's less significant as a guide to what maths your DS needs than just looking at what maths he's doing now, for example.

(How is your DS's reading and writing etc. now? Are you thinking he's going to need acceleration in all subjects, or will it be best to leave him with age peers for most subjects but treat him differently in maths? I suppose you would want a current IQ test if the school was going to rely on the IOWA acceleration scale or something, so that might be an argument.)

Given how advanced he is I think you have to assume, yes, that even a GT teacher used to dealing with that age group may reasonably not feel confident to guide your DS's mathematics for long. (The discussion I just had with my DS7, starting with asking how he'd go about finding the cube root of 12167, just had him asking me how to do x^c where x and c are both complex numbers!) Of course you may strike lucky; DS had a teacher one year who was quite happy to organise his maths and did so very effectively.

You might want to look back at the threads I've posted about how we're dealing with this, as we're a couple of years down the line. It's easier now than it was when DS was that age, I have to admit, since it's only this year that he's had the maturity to get on with his own work effectively without needing input from his teacher. YMMV though. Good luck.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    Mathboy - IQ testing is about reasoning ability more than what your child can actually DO. Achievement testing might look at his actual math skills, or as Colin's mum says - just looking at the maths he's doing already.

ColinsMum #107779 07/25/11 05:15 PM
    M
    Mathboy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the reply, you have been always helpful:-)

You know what, I felt bit strange when I brought his worksheet to school, because that sound crazy, I get used to the look from many people as: "He did this?? Are you are he understand it??"

I know he is gifted child, if he is MG, I like him just hang arround with age peers, staying in GT class or even normal class. He is short, young, sensitive, I don't want to push him grade skip.

His reading and writing is good, 2 years ahead, but I don't worry about it.I perfer him stay in normal class just accelerate math, the problem is, I don't think the teacher will fully understand his math ability, because even sometimes I don't( I was really good at math when I was young)
    Is that possible to get private tutors, or you let your son self tought himself if he wants to learn any?

About how to get cube root of 12167, my son worked it out his own way without caculator: the last number is 7, so the last number of cube root should be 3(3 cube is 27), 13 is too small, 33 is too big, therefor 23 is the one.

His way to figure out math problem always blow me away, it is not about just knows times table or long divition, it is about his senses to number, his thought, his reasoning skill, way beyond his age children, sometimes even adult.

I will check with your old posts, again, thanks a lot.

And Thanks for the all others, and this Forum, I feel like here is the only place I can talk free and ask for advices.

Mathboy #107793 07/25/11 09:15 PM
    D
    D
    "[...] he is 5 and 1/2 now. Last night he figured out cube root of 12167 in his head."

Wow.

If I were you, I'd start picking out do-it-yourself quantum physics laboratory... here's a how-to video to get him started:

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Dandy #107794 07/25/11 10:06 PM
    M
    Mathboy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks, I will have a look

Mathboy #107801 07/26/11 04:24 AM
    I think a private tutor, or mentor, is a good idea. Either now, or in a few years, it might be a good idea to call around to a local university math department and ask:
    "I have a son who just loves math, and seems to be very advanced, would one of the professors please meet with him so that you can help guide us to what books we should share with him or which student we should hire to mentor him?"

Then once you've met one of the professors, they might be so tickled that they themselves volunteer to tutor. It's possible for a first grader to be ready for college level Math.

Meanwhile look on the Internet for 'Khan Academy' and 'Art of Problem Solving' - check locally for a 'Math Circle'

I would also ask the school if they do 'MAP' testing. If your local school doesn't do it, then call around if any of the other schools do, and will let your son sit in. What is nice about MAP testing is that it's on a computer and adjusts the level of questions based on if the previous answer was right or wrong. You should get a number that shows, up until about 8th grade, where your son is - and information about 'what to learn next.'

Your school district's website may have a page called 'scope and sequence' where they show which Math is expected to be learned in which grade. That can be enlightening.

I would also encourage you to read: '5 levels of giftedness.' by Deb Ruf

How is the speech going? Is he up to normal yet?

Love and More love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #107856 07/26/11 04:56 PM
    M
    Mathboy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Grinity

Thanks a lot, very much appreciate your advices.

Yes I have the book of 5 level giftness, his math skill sounds like level 5 and others just like MG, thats why it confused me sometimes. But at least I know he is a gifted child who has asynchronous development.

I have been contact with one math professor from UNI through my friend, funny thing is, the first question he asked is: Is the boy autistic?? But he definitely show his interested in my boy, hopefully it will give us some help later on.

We have a speech therapist help him once everyweek, he is catching up:-)

Thanks again Grinity!

Mathboy #107857 07/26/11 05:05 PM
    Originally Posted by Mathboy
    I have been contact with one math professor from UNI through my friend, ... But he definitely show his interested in my boy, hopefully it will give us some help later on.
    Did the professor give any guidlines about when they should meet? If the professor left the door open, then be bold. If the door is 'closed for now' then ask for help choosing books or tutors.

Don't worry about the autistic question - lots of folks have lots of strange ideas about 'advanced kids.'

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs