Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #107385 07/19/11 09:36 PM
    D
    DAD22 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I'm a father of two young children. My daughter is 28 months, and my son is almost 7 months. I think there's a good chance that my daughter is gifted, though probably not profoundly so. She doesn't read yet, and doesn't count quantities above 2 reliably yet. On the other hand, I find her vocabulary to be astounding. She uses thousands of words. When I learned that children her age can pick up 6 words a day, I wondered if I was typically using 6 words a day that she didn't already know. Since then I have been making a concerted effort to use words that she doesn't know, to keep from stifling her learning potential.

Back on the first hand, perhaps this is the consequence of a child of normal capacity choosing a picture-book dictionary as her favorite book at 18 months old. I think her speech constitutes good grammar for her age group. She speaks in sentences such as "I am going to be a cat for Halloween this year." or "I'm going upstairs to get my dolly." She often gets confused by irregular verbs though. "I drawed a snake."

She doesn't seem inclined to speak Mandarin much at home, though I'm told she understands it well. She'll use it when prompted, and even sing in Chinese on occasion, but I don't know what she's saying... I don't speak it; my wife does.

At any rate, my kids may or may not be gifted, but I find myself compelled to advocate for gifted children. I recently read "A Nation Deceived" and reaffirmed my belief that more needs to be done to help these children reach their potential.

I also hope that others here will help me find products appropriate for my children. My daughter has a long attention span, and loves books, but she's still a 2 year old. She wants a picture on at least every other page, but she's happy to listen to a hundred words or so before she sees another one. I wonder sometimes if she would care for a story too involved to finish in one night. I struggle to find books that suit her very well.

I'll be searching around to find the best places to read and write recommendations for such things.

Also, as the title says, I'm in VA. If there are any members here involved in advocacy in my area, I'd be thrilled to hear their experiences.

P
    P
    Welcome. I've found this to be a great resource.

At about that age my son really enjoyed www.starfall.com which is a free site with lots of short stories and songs designed to teach phonetic reading. Very well thought out design.

Polly

B
    B
    It's way to early to know for sure if she's profoundly gifted or not. Many school psychologists only assign provisional IQs until about age 8 or so.

That's not to say that you can't provide supports and encouragements now, just that you'll have to live with uncertainty for a few years yet!

Hello from Virginia!
    I had for a while attempted to put together a gifted kid play/parent chat group, however wasn't able to stir much interest in it, even with folks I know. I think there is one closer in to d.c., in fairfax area, however.

Other than that, the only advocacy or efforts I've made have been specifically for my own kids, reading about identification, dealing with having children correctly identified or not, 2e issues, etc.
    Learning early about your own school district's early entrance and gifted program possibilities is one good thing about tuning into the whole thing while your kids are relatively young. Just in case it does turn out that they have unique educational needs.

Hoagies.com is another great site for reading and re-reading. Also, you might be interested in googling on 'levels of giftedness' a concept put forward by Dr. Ruf, trying to identify and suggest what will be needed to educate children at the different levels of giftedness: kids who are gifted can vary a LOT in their actual abilities/potential.
    Best of luck and welcome!

M
    M
    If you want to know your kids gifted or not, what level, read the book " 5 level giftness" bu Dr Ruf

I was wondering long time about my son, the book gave me a idea what level giftness he is.

To read to them, to play with them is now what you can do

Later, you might think to find a school with GT classes

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent