Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    Dandy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Our son just returned from three weeks @ Baby-CTY in SoCal, where he took the flight science course and absolutely loved it. In fact, as a result of the brief introduction to physics, he's decided that he really doesn't hate math so much after all.

I'd intended to write a follow-up to my post about his experiences last year, but I've decided that only the first year really required the greater exploration given the associated fears, concerns and anxieties. This second time around was such a proverbial walk-in-the-park for all of us -- heck, we didn't even start packing until a couple nights in advance!

So instead of more wind from me, I wanted to share a link to a Slate article by a former CTYer who shares her experiences with CTY. It's a hoot -- and touching, too.

http://www.slate.com/id/2146134/
    Summer camp can be dreadful for nerdy kids. In a 2006 piece reprinted below, Meghan O'Rourke wrote about her experience at summer programs sponsored by the Center for Talented Youth. But nerd camp isn't so different from normal camp: Between study sessions and heated discussions about nuclear proliferation, the "gifted" still manage to find time for awkward weekly dances and make-out sessions.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    B
    B
    I am surprised that even here, people use pejoratives like "nerd" to describe the gifted. Better IMO to title the post "My summers at genius camp".

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    D
    Dandy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I am surprised that even here, people use pejoratives like "nerd" to describe the gifted. Better IMO to title the post "My summers at genius camp".
    I thought about that, B, but opted to retain the title of the article that prompted my post.

FWIW, within CTY they consider "nerd" to be a badge of honor and not a pejorative at all. "Nerd Pride" is celebrated.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Dandy, I'm so glad to hear there was no anxiety this year! And not hating math so much is a nice side effect. smile The article was cute. I hope that Baby CTY doesn't have lap sitting and make-out sessions though!

I
    I
    Heh. Davidson THINK is nerd camp on steroids. And D (age 16)loves it far more than any of the other summer camps she attended previously. Foreign language camp, canoe tripping camp, scout camp, sports camps, science museum camps -- THINK is her favorite, hands down. Both of my kids have no concerns about being "nerds"... they are actually quite proud of the label.

Waiting for Epsilon camp to start, we saw the end of MathPath camp and many kids and adults were wearing shirts that had NERD in some form on them.

It's like embracing the previous negative connotations and transforming them into something positive.

I was shocked when I heard my 8 year old happily refer to himself as a math nerd...I didn't even think he had ever heard that term.

I love the coolness of nerds smile

D
    D
    Kate, would you tell us about Epsilon camp? We looked at it with interest... were floored by the cost, of course... but think DS might do well there.

I'd love to know your experiences!

DeeDee

DeeDee, I will let you know when we finish the 2 weeks.

Today was the first day and so far, so good! After half a day, DS was dancing with excitement and hung out with his new friends at lunch. Even though I was in the same lunch room, he had no interest in me...just wanted to be with his new mathy friends!

I'm happy that he is happy smile Kate

K
    K
    FWIW, my hs senior nephew who attends a math/science magnet school informed me that "nerd" is not a negative term anymore. It usually applies to someone whois savvy with technology in a way that is perceived as desirable, "like a hacker who is doing you a favor." He informed me that what I described as a nerd (generally studious and socially inept) would be considered a "dork" at his school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years