Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    annette Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    n/a

Last edited by annette; 06/07/12 06:35 PM.
    Originally Posted by annette
    It's liberating to have a forum where my experiences are not only normal, but I can freely talk.

It totally rocks! Not that the locals don't humor me, but there's a refreshing understanding amongst those i've met 'round here. smile I've heard there's yearly potlucks, seminars, and get togethers, and stuff for the kids... I forgot 'cause it's not something I'm going to do soon; but watch

(plagiarized from davidson gifted's Facebook page)

​g fast! Taking place July 17-23, SENG will kick off this special week at the final day of the SENG Summit 2011 in Seattle. SENG�s annual conference​, July 15-17, combines the people and ideas parents seek to improve their gifted� See More
    http://www.seng​ifted.org/natio​nal_parenting_g​ifted_week.pdf
    sengifted.org

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    It is frustrating as Mr W sees himself as an adult in many ways yet gets treated as a toddler which he certainly appears to be.

Mr W got very mad at the Dr's office this week. The (new) DR grabbed his nose to get him to breathe through his mouth when she was listening to his chest.

I stopped her and asked him to hold his nose which he did. He later asked her, "Can I hold the otoscope?" and he asked her what the "Pulse Oximeter" was then repeated it clearly. So the Doc warmed up to him.

I have to remember to ask the adults to address him directly rather than me. I also have to remind him that he needs to speak up and talk like an adult so he is taken seriously as he may be distracted by something he sees or is thinking. I fill in the details if needed, but 90% of the time I do not need to. He asks questions and they cannot be brushed away as he will then not cooperate - especially if he is blown off or he does not think it makes sense.

Originally Posted by annette
    Our experience with our pediatrician was similar. When he first read to her (at 19 months old), she replied, "I read when I was 4 years old. This isn't that unusual." Relieved, I asked, "So you've had other patients like us?" and she replied, "Well, no."
    At least you know what you are dealing with....read some of the other posts where the school folks are saying that the child isn't gifted at all.

And perhaps eventually you'll wear a path in the hearts of those local moms. (As long as they keep letting your child play with their older kids!)You never know.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    My son (4.5) started talking about how he didn't want to die about six months ago. The conversations have stayed with just my husband and I, so no one has noticed.

Ever since he was about two, I've talked about death as we came upon it, such as a bug he squished, with a matter-of-fact approach hoping to avoid excessive fear. I don't know if that will work for us or not. DS goes through phases of talking about it and each time comes back with new questions, so I know it's an ongoing topic for thought.

We have a very old cat (22) who is not long for this world. I've felt it was important to prepare my son that one day he will be dead, so I've discussed how the cat has had a very long life and is now sick and how he needs to love him up now while he is still here. DS has said he will miss his cat when he dies, but hasn't been overly emotional about the thought.

I dread the reality of that day, though. I don't know how he will handle the death of something he loves.

M
    M
    One of our cats died a few years ago. My younger DD (age five at the time) had an incredible number of questions: What happens when you die? How do you die? Why do you die? What happens to the cat after it's dead? and so on. My other DD has been overwhelmed at the thought of death since she was two. She cried for awhile and even now won't talk about the cat.

H
    H
    I would be delighted if my child is willing to show his true self in front of others.

DS2 is so reserved. In public, he would just stare at a book or a puzzle that he has been reading/doing since he was 1.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent