Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    Hah! I was actually glad I let him do a Thomas one, in the end, because he decided it might kill *him* and made me switch before it was even over wink

I'm not sure that says as much about DS as it does about... Thomas... He did like the "transformers" one, but luckilly there didn't appear to be any more!

I'll have to look up that game. I've recently been thinking about trying to add some rules-based games to the playshelves. He's just starting to understand rules enough to be obnoxious, so I figure it's a teachable moment. It's really hard to look at a rack of games for three year olds, though... <brains dribbling out ears just thinking about it>
    -Mich

Yeah, I am with you on the games - sort of feel bad for DS - neither DH nor I are the let the kid win kind of parents. Although DH is much worse - why not let DS have a turn now LOL. We don't really play many of the games as designed more than a few times, he actually just uses it for imaginary fodder - particularly the candy land story line that was big for almost a year (who knew it had a storyline!!)

Try zingo - really easy game - matching. Also the who am I games, sort of battleship, do you have a red headed kid till there is only 1 suspect left. Also if your kid is active - the cranium games where you jump on spots and do things in response to a spinner or calling out thingy were popular.

But I gave up pretty quickly on them, he wasn't crazy about them and neither was I, it was one of the few worthwhile things he actually learned in pre-k - they played connect 4! And he will probably be playing D&D, magic the gathering and the like soon enough, he already has tons of characters, worlds etc and his cousins and aunts and uncles and parents are all pretty geeky!!

DeHe

Uhhhhh... So I just looked at the clock, 'cause I was getting a bit blearly eyed.... I just spent 1.5 hrs watching trains on you-tube with my 2 yr old. We've been doing this every day lately, but usually not nearly so much of it. I hope this doesn't mean I'm a terrible mother... He's asking for subways in specific cities, and coal-trains, and streetcars...

Welcome to my life! The things I have learned about trains in the past year that I really do not care to know... LOL. There was a 2 month span where DH and I checked our email in secret because the minute he saw we were on the computer, he would be in our laps demanding specific You Tube train videos.

Originally Posted by Dehe
    Look on the bright side - you werent watching 90 minutes of Thomas, which might actually kill you!!

I am living proof that Thomas can't actually kill you. Feels like a slow death, though, LOL.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    Uhhhhh... So I just looked at the clock, 'cause I was getting a bit blearly eyed.... I just spent 1.5 hrs watching trains on you-tube with my 2 yr old. We've been doing this every day lately, but usually not nearly so much of it. I hope this doesn't mean I'm a terrible mother... He's asking for subways in specific cities, and coal-trains, and streetcars... <hand hits head>

(sympathy please)

-Mich

Of course you aren't a terrible mother - i think informational videos are awesome. Much better than cartoons and there is nothing wrong with learning visaully. We have watched factory productions on Youtube, all sorts of building things. And at 5 DS has advanced to hour long national geographic space programs. Its fine!!! Mindless tv I think in very small doses but stuff with actual information is good - I let DS at 2 do as much starfall as he wanted, but not much of anything else.

I agree with DeHe. Our son has an extensive library of DVD's that all are worth watching. In the past, he has asked to see a show(Yo Gabba Gabba comes to mind). Since I didn't know what it was about, I let him. Later on, I told him it was "useless". Unfortunately, so much of what's on Nick Jr., etc. is.

We like our public broadcasting children's shows much better for "brainless" tv.

He often enjoys watching the History Channel with me, or old episodes of "How's That Made?". Sometimes he will enjoy the show on Food Network, "Unwrapped". I think it's the machines that interest him.

Mich, my son enjoys watching a show that comes on the RFDTV channel called "Trains and Locomotives" One whole hour of one after another.

OP Offline
    I've recently been thinking about trying to add some rules-based games to the playshelves. He's just starting to understand rules enough to be obnoxious, so I figure it's a teachable moment. It's really hard to look at a rack of games for three year olds, though... <brains dribbling out ears just thinking about it>

-Mich

My son loves Bingo and Dominoes. Likely because both are numbers oriented. Yesterday, I bought him a dart board (the kind that uses a ball with hook-and-loop tape). He needs work on his eye-hand co-ordination and the numbers are an incentive to throw!
    All of these require turn-taking. Maybe consider them?

OK, just one more train obsession story and then I will stop (promise!). Little man, 2yrs 10mo, was laying in bed with me while I read a novel. I left for a few minutes and when I came back he was 'reading' my book: "Thomas, Emily, Henry... Thomas, Emily, Gordon... Thomas, Emily, Percy." When I looked over his shoulder, he was pointing to the page numbers and correlating them to the numbers on the engines. Impressive, but oh so sad at the same time, LOL!

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    OK, just one more train obsession story and then I will stop (promise!). Little man, 2yrs 10mo, was laying in bed with me while I read a novel. I left for a few minutes and when I came back he was 'reading' my book: "Thomas, Emily, Henry... Thomas, Emily, Gordon... Thomas, Emily, Percy." When I looked over his shoulder, he was pointing to the page numbers and correlating them to the numbers on the engines. Impressive, but oh so sad at the same time, LOL!

Not sad. God doesn't make mistakes. I mean that. All children included.

Originally Posted by Ametrine

Just want to be sure that you know that I am completely joking (LOL!) when I said that it was sad. Tongue-in-cheek, eye roll kinda joking. Referring to being tired of trains, not scoffing at his abilities.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    Originally Posted by Ametrine

Just want to be sure that you know that I am completely joking (LOL!) when I said that it was sad. Tongue-in-cheek, eye roll kinda joking. Referring to being tired of trains, not scoffing at his abilities.

Thanks for clarifying! I did take that seriously. That's a big drawback of social networking sites...not being able to see someone's face or hear the inflection in their speech! blush

B
    B
    Late to this party, but DS5 has been nuts about trains for a couple years, and last year bedtime reading to him for several weeks was this. He noticed it in the adult section and we had to take it home. Your train nut might like it!
    http://www.amazon.com/Railroad-Rolling-Stock-Gallery-Steve/dp/0760332606

U
    U
    Legos and card games.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM