Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #106880 07/12/11 03:57 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    I am toying with getting a formal IQ score for my dd8, going into grade 3.

Reason being: to have more in my arsenal to present to schools for advocacy reasons.

What IQ test would you recommend?

I don't know, but I've seen them say here that sat & act means more to school teachers and principals than iq tests because it's in a format they understand. I thought the scat was for younger kids so I googled it and it's for grades 2-6, used by CTY, and only $55. But I don't know much about testing so hopefully someone else will answer.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    thanks!

In general, I would have suggested the WISC IV and WJ III (IQ and achievement) duo... or maybe the WISC IV (IQ) alone...but it seems to me, from what I've learned on this board, that the answer to this question depends on your school district/school.

Do you know any parents who have successfully advocated for their child at your school? I think I might quietly ask them what type of information the school required before making the change. They might be full of helpful advice...

I hope someone else will chime in with their thoughts.

In general, IQ tests are supposed to reveal potential, while achievement test are made to reval what a child has accomplished. For effictive advocacy, it's great to show that your child has already learned what is being taught next year AND that she learned it not because you've kept her chained in the basement with flashcard, but because her potential is so unsual, so this trend is likely to last. Weirdly, the best known achievement test - WJIII, doesn't say much about how far above level a child is performing, and reports it's scores in misleadingly named 'grade equivalents.' It's a very good test, but we're still waiting for the tests that can be feed into a computer and a 'This child belongs in this grade' type report can be spit out of a computer.

Do you live in 'ACT land?' - if so the Explore (aimed I think at 8th graders) might be familiar to the local school folks. A third grader scoring at the level of the average 8th grader will speak volumes. You want to speak whatever language the hear-ers will understand.

If you live in a state that uses the SAT, then you are sort of out of luck until your child can sit through that...age 12 is 'average' around here, 10 isn't that unusual, but 8, well, only a few kids can get much out of the experience at 8. (You can always get a practice book and take a sample test at home for fun to get an idea...)

Another approach is to get 'end of year' tests in various subjects for the next few grades up and show them what your chld can do in those areas. Clear and convincing 'evidence' of above average achievement is better than a test that shows 'potential' any day, right? Both is best. If your school does MAP testing that should be an easy way to talk about how 'alone' your child is at present.

WISC IV and WJ III are wonderful, and can help you understand a more detailed picture - if all goes well, but various schools will react to the scores in various ways - depending on the school or the personel at the school at the moment. If you are at all unsure of what you are seeing (and who wouldn't be?) it's a terrific investment.

Hope that helps,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    This does help, thanks.

First off, my mistake. DS...not DD - ???

DS8 does have scat scores and rit map scores - I have not pressed the schools to show me that other students have the same ability. I took it at face value, but now am questioning it. I believe his RIT scores put him in the 99% for grade 2... which means he'd still be pretty high for grade 3 (216). And 443 on scat I haven't shared with the school b/c I only know this to mean he is slightly above 50% for high achieving 2nd grade males - no comparison to normal 4th graders.

Primarily, I have the grade 3 workbook that they'll be using. It makes me want to cry. For example, they'll be learning the basic multiplication... DS8 can multiply thousands by thousands... learning division - much farther grasp on fractions, decimals, geometry and even basic algebra.

So, I don't see how keeping him in the grade 3 class will be helpful. They say they'll differentiate, but I am skeptical.

I feel somewhat lost. I know his potential & passion - but the school kind-of makes me feel like I'm inflating his potential or over reacting to his needs. They don't see what I do.

I know he's gifted - not like many of the kids here on this board - he's more a "normal" gifted, not superior or way off the charts.

Nonetheless, I want him to have the opportunities to acheive as his heart desires and this isn't happening...

I know that we'll end up doing partial HS again, but this also makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong...sneaking my kid out of school to meet his needs. Crazy, but it isn't a good feeling - and I bet those feelings transfer to him.

I'm venting now... but man, this isn't the easiest to navigate so I appreciate the expert advice from those of you advocating for gifted students who require even MORE advocacy!!

Any and all thoughts welcome. The idea of an IQ for me might make me feel better about HS and advocacy because it's a score I understand in terms of potential and ability... don't get this so much with the scat, map or cogat.

If they plan to differentiate maybe you can send homework to school with him, like a Singapore math book or something so you can help the teacher out with appropriate differentiation. I just say Singapore because I don't know many choices. But if he already knows what they're working on that week then the teacher can just pull his Singapore book and already know what HE needs to work on next. I think a teacher just likes consistent and comprehensive.
    It's a shame you feel a little guilty for making decisions on how to raise your own kid, but it just shows you're trying to do things right and it's hard sometimes. ((not a hugger-have some chocolate))
    ((ah, c'mere and gimme a virtual hug))

Last edited by La Texican; 07/13/11 10:38 AM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    P
    P
    I 2nd LitleCherub. SCAT score of 443 is >90 percentile compared to 4th graders. (a little variable between Math or Verbal)

My DD7 took it last December and got similar score and the principal asked us if we wanted a grade skip. I suggest you ask CTY to send a copy to the school and talk to the principal/administration. They may be receptive.

Here's the link.

http://cty.jhu.edu/ts/SCATData2010.html

Good Luck!

L
    OP Offline
    L
    wow... thanks so much. This gives me a ray of hope!

I opted not to share scores b/c it's 2 pts. off the CTY acceptance and I thought the school might use that against him!! (although CTY said they'd make the exception when kids are that close - but alas, the cost determines it is a program that we won't be using after all, so I've just left it at that).

However, to be able to show the correlation to 4th graders, that's a whole new story!

I will ask that CTY send a copy to the school.

Myself, the dual immersion coordinator & the teacher teaching math will be meeting prior to the start of school. I already have the math 3-5 extension workbooks that I am planning on bringing in hopes that she'll allow him to work on this.

Last year I took this approach but his 2nd grade teacher told him to put it away b/c he hadn't finished coloring some worksheet. I understand having to follow directions, but the lack of support in allowing him to do differentiated work is what led us to partial HS.

This gives me something to chew on... again, thank you for all the help & thoughts!

You have the Math rit scores. They provide information on what the child is supposed to be ready to learn next. Ask for that information. See if it matches your information, then ask 'what classroom would my child have to sit in to learn what he is ready to learn in Math (not in sitting and waiting skills) and have a few academic peers?'

The SCAT is nice as a confirmation, but I don't think it will help with the school - Those MAP tests should be gold to your situation.

If you feel like you could cry - go cry to the principal - she needs to see it. If you son is suffering emotionally, find a way to share that story with the school. That is what will catch their attention.

Peace,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent