Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Cecilia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Well, I knew just where to turn! Haha... Friend of mine (her computer's down and she's panicking Lol) just found out that their school psychologist is going to administer her daughter (age 11) an achievement test (either WJ or WIAT) for consideration into their school's gifted program. She took the WISC with GAI of 132...low working memory but nothing too unusual...Daughter is okay with math and spelling but wonderfully creative and brilliant with vocab and reading... My kiddos have never had to take an achievement test so I'm not quite sure what to tell her on the pros and cons of each of these tests. Would one be better than the other??? Thanks so much for your input smile

They are both good tests. Give her some chocolate (or appropriate substitution) and hugs. Good luck to her kiddo!
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Y
    Y
    hi grinity

tried to send a pm, but says you reached the limit

C
    Cecilia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks Grinity smile

I love saving all my precious PMs, but then I can't get new ones. Anyway, I did delete a few....pout

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Here's a good article on psychologically prepping a child for a test, by Aimee Yermish:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.com/test_prep.htm

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    There are some very significant differences between the WIAT and the WJ-III. The WIAT is a graded test, meaning there are sets of questions for each grade and based on the number of points accumulated, a score is assigned. So if this child is in 6th grade, she will be given the 6th grade group of questions even if she is capable of answering the 9th grade questions.

With the WJ-III, it's the same test for everyone. So if the child is in 6th grade but can answer 9th grade (or 12th grade or whatever) questions, she is able to do so. The person being tested simply answers questions until they can't answer any more or they finish the test, whichever comes first. So in this sense, the WJ-III is a better test for a gifted child working significantly above grade level.

However, there are other differences as well. One that is pretty significant is the way reading comprehension is assessed. On the WIAT, the child is given passages to read and is then asked several questions about them (the passages remain accessible to the child so she can refer to them if she needs to). On the WJ-III, the child reads sentences that have a word missing and has to provide an appropriate word. Some kids have a very hard time with this task for reasons independent of comprehension.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM