Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #106585 07/08/11 10:33 AM
    S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I have two sons who are being considered for various types of acceleration. My youngest is definitely ready for a grade skip, he's already two years ahead in our state curriculum and could be three, I think. His scores indicate it as well, he's a candidate for DYS.

My oldest was also accelerated one grade level in his previous school (so he did 3rd grade math, reading, spelling, language arts and writing while doing 2nd grade science and social studies). His scores are high enough (WISCIV of 135, GAI 138 and 91-99 percentile in his WJIII) to merit consideration of a grade skip this year from 3rd to 4th. His reading acheivement score was just 91percentile but that would qualify him for the gifted program in reading as well as in math if he were to be in 4th rather than 3rd grade. I know the talent and interest is there, he regularly picks up classics like Moby Dick, Swiss Family Robinson, etc. in their abridged versions (designed for 5-6 graders) and finishes them in an hour. Question is: if the kid is unsure about the skip, are they going to say no outright?

He usually chooses kids 2-5 years older than him to play with outside of school. He complains of being bored by the repetition. How would it be possible to provide subject acceleration in all of those subjects without a skip? He's already had 3rd grade. How do I best get this across without being told it's too much for him? He has a Jan. 30th b-day so he'd just be 6 months younger rather than 6 months older than everyone.

Also, he tends to act the way his peers act, if they are silly--he's right there. If they are very mature, that's him. I'd like to encourage the latter. I worry about underachievement if he doesn't grade skip and they attempt to ability group him in the regular classroom.

help!
    Shannon L

What are your son's reasons for not wanting to skip? I would recommend finding out what the reasons are, and then working on that. Is it friends? With our son, we promised to make play dates and sleepovers with his friends from the grade he was leaving, so he knew he wouldn't be losing those friends. Is he nervous about the challenges? You could get hold of some examples of what they'll be doing in the next grade to ease his fears.

Is sports an issue? With our son, he was not sporty in the least, and so that wasn't an issue (he said it wouldn't matter - he'd be staying at the bottom in sports, no change!) I'm not sure how to deal with the sports issue, but if it's a big deal I'd seriously consider that as a major factor when deciding about the skip.

S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Yes, he's nervous about the challenges. We're moving from a private to public school so it's not the friend thing. I told him he would be in 3rd for at least 2-3 weeks before we'd make any changes and that it would be up to him. I also said I know he hates to be bored in school and that once he sees the workload, he might be more interested.

He is heavy into soccer and a bit into lacrosse and judo but all are outside of school at this elementary level. I had a chance to look at the reading books and they are waaaaay behind what he's done. I'm hoping getting in to the class will help him.

Have you looked at the Iowa Acceleration Scale or discussed it with the school he will be attending? If they go through the process and it indicates that your son is a good candidate for the acceleration (which he almost certainly is) that may be the unbiased boost of confidence he needs to feel comfortable moving on.

L
    L
    is there a link to this acceleration scale? I'm trying to do a math skip in wyoming from 3rd to 4th. I've been told FLAT out NO.

D
    D
    You can get the manual via interlibrary loan. The manual contains the entire scale.

DeeDee

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM