Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #106697 07/10/11 12:30 PM
    G
    Gavsmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I have been struggling with this for a while, and have not been able to find others who have a "cool" kid, so I thought I would reach out to you. I feel bad because sometimes having a gifted little one makes me sad.

I have come to believe that it is because we are celebrating milestones years early. He turns four this week and I am a bit overwhelmed by what the year may bring. For his third year of life, he learned all his sounds, taught himself how to write, began reading and spelling, began addition and subtraction.

We have all the usual "cool" kid challenges of not enjoying kids our age and so forth. Sometimes I just want to hold him and tell him to slow down. I know this is who he is and I love every ounce of him. It is just sad to see your little person struggle with such big parts of life, especially when others don't understand.

I would love to hear any words of wisdom and experience.

Fondly,

Gavsmom:)

Welcome! I'm sorry that you feel sad about this. Is it because you don't have anyone to talk to about the milestones who can relate? It's hard when your isolated.

I recommend seeking out activities where you might find other kids like yours. For example, science museums, bookstore and library clubs, art museums, GT classes if available, lego classes. Although it's nice if our kids get along with everyone, sometimes it's nice to give opportnities where your kid will have fun, even if it means he's with older kids.

Every kid goes at his own pace, and I suggest just supporting and embracing the uniqueness of your kid. I hope you have some family support - that helps a ton if you family gets you and your kid.

Sorry, not a lot of wisdom. If there are particular areas where you and your kiddo are struggling, I think more people could advise on specifics.

Welcome Gavsmom! Reaching out to give you a virtual hug! It will be okay. He and you will figure this out together. It won't be easy but the challenges are usually worth it. Don't forget to keep your sense of humor intact.

Is there something specific you'd like to know? I'm writing this in a hurry but wanted you to know you're not alone.

Gavsmom,

I'm not sad, but I hear you. Early milestones are kind of neat when the kid is very young. Unfortunately, it becomes less neat and more weird/freaky as they get older.

People would exclaim at my toddler and be happily amazed, but now he is an 8 year old describing a geometry project and they look dumbstruck. For example, my aunt said she never even learned geometry in school and had no idea what my son was talking about.

Instead of being able to compare my son to someone's friend's grandchild, he is all alone without comparison (to them). I, too, am glad there is this site to hear about other kids like mine.

His brain is growing like crazy on the inside, but he is still a silly little kid making jokes about poop and explaining elaborate rules of jinxing to me! Truthfully, in that regard, he is more of a happy-go-lucky kid than I ever was. I'm so happy for him!

Kate

F
    F
    I feel sad at times because specially with my teen she is growing up so fast and the types of conversations we have I had not expected until she was older. It seems we do not get as much time with them as youngsters. On the other side of that I am so glad that both my kids can express themselves clearly and articulately. It does not take long to know what they really need or what the core issue is. I am very grateful for that!

G
    Gavsmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks for your kind words. I think that it is time that I put some more work into finding the right support, as this forum. For there are so many wonderfull things about these special kids that should be celebrated, even the growing up too fast.

I agree with so much that you all offered. Yes, my almost 4 year old understands his behavior. He also wants to play with big boys, but is learning the hard way that his play-on-words and sense of humor can hurt someones feelings. Tough things for such a little person to have to go through.

I look forward to learning from all you wonderful parents.

Steph

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM