Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    So my DD13 and I have "grown-up" with Harry Potter. I started reading them to her when she was about 3 1/2 and we have gone to the midnight parties for the new releases of books and movies. We have read them as a family together around the table taking turns reading them out-loud. Hermione was a savior of a role model about being smart and into books. Of course we are doing the midnight showing of the last movie...and we both cry at the preview or when we see posters etc. We are having marathon movie watching, re-reading books, playing Harry Potter Trivia. I have to say, the Harry Potter series has been one of our "gifted resources" when I knew and understood so little of what was going on......

I laughed and cried when I read your summary. Ah.,what beautiful memories you have shared. Has it really been ten years already? Hah.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    I
    I
    My kids have also been waxing nostalgic about this. D21 and D16 say that the hours (honestly, probably hundreds) spent discussing and anticipating the release of the next book since they were very young was one of the greatest parts of their childhood. They said they feel a little sorry for kids who can just go read them all in a row. Both will be away from home for the opening of the final movie. We will all be going separately, then planning to attend again as a group when they are back home in mid-August. laugh

My daughter is 14 and I totally understand that this has been around her whole life. We have our tickets and are ready for the last one.

A
    A
    i totally get it. I started reading the series when I was pregnant with DS10. He loved the series and so did I. DH doesn't get it but DS and I love to talk about all things HP. I got overwhelmed emotionally when I entered the Wizarding World of HP at Universal's Island of Adventures and I cry if i just think about the end of the last book. Oh, there i go *snif snif*

It's so wonderful that you shared those experiences together!

I am making this Snape doll in honor of it all (i am a dollmaker and sculptor) hopefully I will finish him by next week smile

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115/nanner2000/snapeWIP1.jpg

Nice Snape! smile

AntsyPantsy, I love the Snape doll you are making! What talent!

Kate

Oh my! Your Snape doll is unbelievable! Wow!

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    AntsyPants - Love the doll....

We have tickets too...midnight showing IMAX... I imagine the audience is going to be really rowdy.... I am so glad that I got to share this with her and wonder what if anything could be there for my DD2.9. I think it is really different now that you can plow through the whole set. They do get darker/violent as you go and it seemed paced ok for my older one regarding age etc. It seems now once you start you'd be going through the whole series. For the midnight book parties and movies I have usually dressed as Tonks... Not sure what I will do for this one though... Have fun everyone!

A
    A
    yes, DS10 plowed right through the whole series. He is really into the Pendragon series now. I think I'm the one that is the biggest HP fan around here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM