Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi,
    We are considering have our DS tested for DYS and to possible for other programs. He is 11 and has never had full IQ testing done. He had part of a WPPSI at age 4. At that time he was unable to stop interrupting the tester or let her finish a question before answering it. She also gave a WIAT-II and scored 3 sections at >99, of what she could complete. It was a school district tester and not a lot I could do about her results. She just issued a partial report saying very intelligent child but non compliant for testing at this time. He has always test 99%tile in grade level testing and had a did great on Explore last year. His Explore test more than qualifies him for DYS. After reading the application, I think our easiest process would be testing him. They state preferring hand written documents of work. He has typed on a computer since age 5. He hardly writes a thing by hand. He writes(types) very long and detail papers in Science and Math topics. It seems a solid test would be easier to submit than all of his writing and misc.

If anyone has used a good tester in NE Ohio region I would love to get the name from you. It's a lot of money to call a random person. If so which test did you choose and why?

C
    C
    edit

Last edited by Chrys; 06/28/11 03:26 PM. Reason: pm instead

Warning: sleep deprived
    M
    M
    We are using Dr. Edward Amend. He's in Lexington Ky, but has a satellite office in Cincinnati/Blue Ash area which is a bit closer to you. He's apparently very good with testing fidgity boys and this is why we are driving to him. I don't want to second guess results, nor do we want to throw money away.
    I have talked to Dr. Amend and he comes very well recommended from respected friends, so I feel good about our decision. Dr. Amend himself seemed very kind and knowledgeable of giftedness, and he has co-authored a couple of gifted books,so he's obviously a great choice. Our ds's testing isn't until the end of August.
    I hope this helps.

Last edited by mom22boys; 07/07/11 11:03 AM.
    Originally Posted by mom22boys
    We are using Dr. Edward Amend. He's in Lexington Ky, but has a satellite office in Cincinnati/Blue Ash area which is a bit closer to you.
    Totally worth the drive. There is never a gaurentee that things will go optimally - but this way you know you took your best possible shot.
    My son throughly dislikes all mental health professionals on sight, but really enjoyed spending time with Dr. Ed. I found it refresing to spend time with someone who not only 'gets' my kid, but 'gets' me too!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    PM me if you'd like the name of our tester in NE Ohio. She was recommended as someone with experience testing gifted kids. Sure enough, ds, 6.5 at the time, had a productive series of sessions with her despite being somewhat fidgety (she saw right away that he needs to move when his brain is working).

ETA: She chose WISC-IV for ability and Woodcock-Johnson for achievement, which seemed fine to me based on the reading I'd done.

Last edited by hip; 07/07/11 01:31 PM. Reason: forgot to answer two questions
    G
    G
    We went with Dr. Daniel Weinberger, he shares an office with Sylvia Rimm. Rimm doesn't take our insurance but Weinberger does. My kids loved him, and I like him a lot, too. WISC-IV and WJ were done.

Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the responses. I intended to try test over the summer. Life has a way of getting away from you. I don't think our insurance would pay for any part of testing. Hopefully, We can get some kind of testing done in the next 6 months. He is getting closer to the age where more and more programs are available to him.
    Thanks Again

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM