Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 233 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #106356 07/05/11 10:08 AM
    mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am beginning to think about summer camps for my dd for next summer and was thinking of perhaps having her take a foreign language class at a local college. She would be 7 - language is an area of particular strength and interest to her. Because I teach there, the class would be free to me, and it is possible that I might know the professor. Any thoughts or experiences with this? Any suggestions as to which language to take?

As long as the material is within reach and she can keep up with any writing and homework requirements, why not?

Spanish seems like the most useful foreign language, generally, for a citizen to have who will remain in this country. I enjoyed Russian in college. I don't think you can go wrong; there will be exciting opportunities for cultural enrichment when learning any modern language.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I'd choose first if there is a teacher that you think would enjoy your child. You might need teacher-permission to audit the class, particularly if there are rather few students.
    Another point to consider is if there are family friends who are fluent in the 2nd language - it's more fun to learn a language if you have some to converse with (and show off to)

Sound like fun!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    L
    I started auditing classes around that age. Having your daughter meet the professor first might help it go more smoothly--he or she will see your daughter's abilities and interest in his or her field--and you'll have a better idea of the requirements for the course. For me, it was helpful to meet with a few different professors to see which ones were receptive to having a young child sit in their class. Another way to get around some of the possible obstacles is to enroll in the class with her--schools seemed more receptive to having parental supervision when I was actually on campus.

You might want to make sure that it's auditing or pass/fail, as any course taken in college will stay on her transcript (required to be submitted for graduate or medical school after she finishes college).

C
    C
    If you are indifferent about the language to take, you might want to find out what the different teachers are like. Some profs make the subject matter come alive; some suck enjoyment out of things that should be fantastic. Picking based on the prof can help ensure that your dd's first look at college is an enjoyable one. (This is the other side of the coin that Grinity mentioned in her post). Good luck!

The teacher does matter because she is so very young. My daughter started taking courses at 11 and some of the topics that were discussed would have been upsetting to her at a younger age - such as female circumcision. Discussing different cultures can have adult topics and that is the main reason for getting all approvals and the parent has to be willing to deal with the discussions - as well as the child.

mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks all - these have been very helpful tips! Will certainly be keeping my eyes and ears open for excellent faculty, will have her audit and will stick close by. I'm excited for her!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations