Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    He actually seems passionate about other people and what they're doing, come to think of it. �(aka pestering). �
    I was just talking to a great aunt. �When I said, "there's parenting forum I love and everybody was talking about 'what's your pre-schoolers passion?' and I just turned red because instead of trains or dinosaurs i had to say "my kid's passion is what everybody else is doing AND what they should be doing", (ahem, rhymes with "nosy" & "bossy"). �She told me, It all depends on your vocabulary because that's "curiosity and leadership." smile

hahaha!! and she is quite correct - Aiden's first term at pre school (age 3 class) the school diagnosed his bossiness as "leadership potential" I LOLed when I saw that! his teacher was a psychologist wink

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    OP Offline
    He actually seems passionate about other people and what they're doing, come to think of it. �(aka pestering). �
    I was just talking to a great aunt. �When I said, "there's parenting forum I love and everybody was talking about 'what's your pre-schoolers passion?' and I just turned red because instead of trains or dinosaurs i had to say "my kid's passion is what everybody else is doing AND what they should be doing", (ahem, rhymes with "nosy" & "bossy"). �She told me, It all depends on your vocabulary because that's "curiosity and leadership." smile

My first thought about that is "nosiness" is highly valued in the CIA! Not anything to be embarrassed about...it's an opportunity to teach about appropriate investigation; as opposed to inappropriate privacy invasion. smile

U
    U
    I figured this is a good thread to start my first post. I am thrilled to have found a place where it is okay to talk about my three year old daughter!

My little girl has become obsessed with anything time related, like watches and calendars. She also loves to play with maps (just like her mama) and enjoys painting pictures of people.

Just like the other posters above, my child is a pro at nosiness and pestering...especially in regards to her little brother. =)

My DD3 is obsessed with telling long involved storied that always include a green t-rex, an orange t-rex, which is nicer, and the Disney princesses getting chased and eaten by one or the other t-rex.
    The setting changes, the victim changes, and the heroine princess changes every time, but the rest are constants. I know a strange combination, but they are really funny stories with great plot lines. If I only had the camera to record her while she was telling them.

K
    K
    The current obsession is Lego and inventing tricky and unusual contraptions from it or making me replicate things he's seen in photos. The other one, and this fits in with the bossiness theme, is inventing all kinds of games and challenges for me to undertake. They have to have lots of levels and rules that change so that I am always at a disadvantage.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by kiwi
    The current obsession is Lego and inventing tricky and unusual contraptions from it or making me replicate things he's seen in photos. The other one, and this fits in with the bossiness theme, is inventing all kinds of games and challenges for me to undertake. They have to have lots of levels and rules that change so that I am always at a disadvantage.

haha - that games thing is something both my boys love to do - and you have to do what they tell you and the rules are liable to change at any given time too.. so much fun here when daddy has to be the queen or the baby and I have to be the elephant (??) or the clock!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Uhhhhh... So I just looked at the clock, 'cause I was getting a bit blearly eyed.... I just spent 1.5 hrs watching trains on you-tube with my 2 yr old. We've been doing this every day lately, but usually not nearly so much of it. I hope this doesn't mean I'm a terrible mother... He's asking for subways in specific cities, and coal-trains, and streetcars... <hand hits head>

(sympathy please)

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    smile Sympathy given, Micheala. These things can really pull you in. After all, what does one more video matter wink

Originally Posted by Michaela
    Uhhhhh... So I just looked at the clock, 'cause I was getting a bit blearly eyed.... I just spent 1.5 hrs watching trains on you-tube with my 2 yr old. We've been doing this every day lately, but usually not nearly so much of it. I hope this doesn't mean I'm a terrible mother... He's asking for subways in specific cities, and coal-trains, and streetcars... <hand hits head>

(sympathy please)

-Mich

Of course you aren't a terrible mother - i think informational videos are awesome. Much better than cartoons and there is nothing wrong with learning visaully. We have watched factory productions on Youtube, all sorts of building things. And at 5 DS has advanced to hour long national geographic space programs. Its fine!!! Mindless tv I think in very small doses but stuff with actual information is good - I let DS at 2 do as much starfall as he wanted, but not much of anything else.

although if your kid likes transportation there are other things you can mix in, although 2 is pretty young, my transportation minded DS 5 loves when we design our own subway system. And there is this road, rail game from Ravensberger (which I of course heard about here) we don't play the game yet instead just make roads and railways using the cards, its always different so pretty neat. We would go watch the railroad, DS loved that. He is currently interested in buses and all the different types in our city. but it doesn't seem so obsessive since he has other interests and does other things.

Look on the bright side - you werent watching 90 minutes of Thomas, which might actually kill you!!

DeHe

Hah! I was actually glad I let him do a Thomas one, in the end, because he decided it might kill *him* and made me switch before it was even over wink

I'm not sure that says as much about DS as it does about... Thomas... He did like the "transformers" one, but luckilly there didn't appear to be any more!

I'll have to look up that game. I've recently been thinking about trying to add some rules-based games to the playshelves. He's just starting to understand rules enough to be obnoxious, so I figure it's a teachable moment. It's really hard to look at a rack of games for three year olds, though... <brains dribbling out ears just thinking about it>

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM