Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Shitu
    Thanks for all the response, looks like writing is something I should work on. Is there any specific resource that worked for you?

Hi again. We recently bought several grades' worth of workbooks in the "Daily 6-Trait Writing" series, like this first-grade one. They seem to be decent so far in my non-expert opinion. They include a range of different tasks, asking a child to focus on things like sentence structure, adding useful detail through use of specific words, etc. And of course your son would get lots of physical writing practice doing the exercises.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    S
    Shitu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    After all the testing, in the end the board did not approve the skip, with concerns for the 'future well being of child'. They moved him to first grade and then observed him in the class and finally decided against it.

I am not sure how DS will take it, as he was already told by the teachers that he will be in 2nd next year mad

So next year he will be a high 1st grader who needs to be challenged and for math he will go to 2nd grade.

Last edited by Shitu; 06/29/11 06:38 AM.
    S
    Shitu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks Iucounu. I will check it.

We started with writing the summary of the book/chapters. He loves to read, and currently into Magic Tree House series, after every book we ask him to write a few sentences about what happened in the book. Sometimes he just copies a paragraph from the book on paper. It is working out well for now.

I have sent you an PM, can you please take a look.

S
    S
    After all the testing, in the end the board did not approve the skip, with concerns for the 'future well being of child'. They moved him to first grade and then observed him in the class and finally decided against it.

I am not sure how DS will take it, as he was already told by the teachers that he will be in 2nd next year mad

Wow! That is upsetting. I would be irate. I don't understand how all of these people who are SO against skipping can be so concerned about the "future well being of the child", while obviously not bothering to read literature about how these kids do with skips. As a skipped child, I feel like my future well being was just fine.

Upsetting for sure. If they were in doubt they certainly shouldn't have told anything to your son, who now will feel like they've broken a promise, and about something he probably wanted and was excited about. (I PMed you back about the same time as I posted here, Shitu-- check your inbox.)

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    F
    F
    wow that is terrible.... so sorry to hear such good news to be yanked right out from under you... I'd be furious!

After all the testing, in the end the board did not approve the skip, with concerns for the 'future well being of child'...
    So next year he will be a high 1st grader who needs to be challenged and for math he will go to 2nd grade.
    How frustrating. Hopefully they will change their minds again soon.

It is great that he will be going to math for 2nd grade. Hopefully there will be kids reading on his level in 1st - of they will send him up after a month or two.

It sounds like the writing practice you are doing is great.

Keep reminding of his social need to be with kids who can play his games and enjoy his humor....they'll get it eventually.

Love and more love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets