Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 365 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    C
    Well that on that note - if you are mid-30s you also need to use the pre-recentering conversion chart smile

F
    F
    I am so glad that someone has asked this as I have been curious about myself since learning about my DD. I would love to know my scores but sure do not have the money to pay for such a test. The raven site is in Spanish... It looks like the test is a non-verbal test and it does not matter about the Spanish. There are some directions and I can not decipher them.... One thing I would like to know is how long is the test?

M
    M
    Use google translate. I believe it's 40 mins, there is a counter of sorts as you go along so possibly it will self terminate, I m not sure though as it only took me about 20. Note that you can actually go back and change things if you like, there are back and forward buttons.

Something I wonder about, but have been too embarrassed to ask is what people here think if the various attempts at high range IQ tests floating around the internet. I have never paid much attention to them until I stumbled across this guy's site when looking at my local Mensa website.

http://psiq.org/lux/

I have seen threads here discussing the need for DYS type kids to grow up and design and norm tests to differentiate at the tail. If people are already trying to make high range tests should we be supporting them or are they not to be taken seriously?

In the spirit of confession I did a couple of the tests from the link above and found them very entertaining but was surprised by how well I did on them which makes me skeptical. That said others I couldn't even figure out what the question meant! Although it did bring me to an interesting realisation that IQ tests in my experience do seem to be mostly exceedingly easy until you just can't do more. Binary rather than a sliding scale. Does that make sense? Either you can "see" it, or you can't. The Raven's test had two questions I couldn't get and I knew I was just guessing (and got wrong), there were a few that I had to think about a little but for the most part it was a doddle. The ones I did not know I concluded I did not know pretty much as fast as the ones I knew, I then spent some time trying to nut them out but it didn't really change anything...And that is pretty much what a I saw when watching my DDs do their IQ tests. In general they could answer fairly immediately or they could not answer correctly at all and thinking harder did not change things much (with some exceptions, block design takes a little time and checking for example).

Ok, I have gone off on a lot of tangents now. Sorry.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 06/28/11 07:38 PM.
    M
    M

B
    B
    There is a 1995 book

http://www.amazon.com/Test-Your-IQ-Hans-Eysenck/dp/0140249621
    Test Your IQ
    by Hans J. Eysenck and Darrin Evans

containing eight IQ tests that one can purchase for $4 used on Amazon (which has many member reviews of it). Eysenck was a prolific British psychologist who wrote a controversial 1971 book "The IQ argument: race, intelligence, and education" and a 2000 book "Intelligence: A New Look".

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    C
    C
    Ha, it was a previous book of his (Know your own IQ) that my parents had kicking around at home when I first came across the idea of IQ. As a pre-teen I did all the tests in the book over the course of a year or so, getting numbers everywhere from 130 to 220 (IIRR). So I vote invalid!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I am honored to know someone with a 220 IQ.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Ha, it was a previous book of his (Know your own IQ) that my parents had kicking around at home when I first came across the idea of IQ. As a pre-teen I did all the tests in the book over the course of a year or so, getting numbers everywhere from 130 to 220 (IIRR). So I vote invalid!

Well, if there are eight tests, averaging the scores should reduce noise. From what I have read in your other posts, you are a math professor, and your son is profoundly gifted. I vote valid smile.

Last edited by Bostonian; 06/29/11 10:45 AM.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    I am honored to know someone with a 220 IQ.
    :-~ Around here you may well be, but it ain't me ;-)

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Well, if there are eight tests, averaging the scores should reduce noise. From what I have read in your other posts, you are a math professor, and your son is profoundly gifted. I vote valid smile.
    The scatter was so great that my own conclusion was that one shouldn't trust any of the numbers at all. I'll accept that I used to be quite bright in those days ;-)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs