Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I put this in this forum b/c it's not really that important. Are there any free IQ tests that are valid? I'd like to take one myself. I grew up in a place where my high school graduating class had 30-some people and not very many opportunities. Definitely no AP or gifted classes. I don't think anyone I ever knew had an IQ test.

I fit all the descriptors, sailed through grad school w/a 4.0, am pretty quirky (and sometimes hard to live with), but I want some proof. We have 2 gifted daughters and I want to show dh that it's not all from his genes. laugh

I took an online one a long time ago but I have no idea whether or not the results were valid.

B
    B
    Do you remember your SAT scores? The SAT is highly g-loaded (especially the earlier version, which had analogies), as Detterman has found -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT for references. There are SAT-to-IQ conversion tables online. The College Board is not honest about what its tests are measuring for political reasons.

Since you went to grad school, you can also estimate your IQ from your GRE scores http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/criteria.aspx . Several high-IQ societies accept high GRE scores for admission.

Wordsum http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/05/wordsum-iq/ is a short vocabulary test that you can probably find online . It is, arguably (see the link), an IQ test.

Last edited by Bostonian; 06/27/11 01:59 PM. Reason: added comments on GRE

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks! I have no idea what my SAT scores were. I must be getting old.

I do remember that my GRE scores were not as good as I had hoped. I took it in a subject area (English - which is not what my graduate degree is in) and I was disappointed. (Am I remembering correctly? GREs are taken in a subject area?)

Of course, "disappointing" to me at age 20-something could very well translate into "very good" to my mid-40 perspective.

I'm certain I no longer have my GRE scores. I'm a major purger.

I'll check out that vocabulary test. Thanks. smile

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Do you remember your SAT scores? The SAT is highly g-loaded (especially the earlier version, which had analogies), as Detterman has found -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT for references. There are SAT-to-IQ conversion tables online.
    Particularly true if you didn't, like today's generation, prepare for the SAT. I believe that College Board is being accurate - in today's environment where kids very often study for the SAT, and the schools teach to it as well, that today the SAT is more of an achievement test than an 'aptitude' or 'IQ' test.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Terrilth
    I do remember that my GRE scores were not as good as I had hoped. I took it in a subject area (English - which is not what my graduate degree is in) and I was disappointed. (Am I remembering correctly? GREs are taken in a subject area?)

Of course, "disappointing" to me at age 20-something could very well translate into "very good" to my mid-40 perspective.

The GRE-to-IQ conversion tables are for the GRE General exam.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    M
    M
    There is this raven's test, which has been discussed here a few times and the consensus seems to be that it is fairly valid.

http://www.clipsite.com.ar/HOME/Salud/Test/Raven/

you might want to search for the latest norms for ravens though

Originally Posted by Terrilth
    I'm certain I no longer have my GRE scores. I'm a major purger.

If you feel motivated, your grad school may still have your scores. I entered grad school in 1989 and they still had my scores in their files when I asked for them a couple years ago. They are not "official" but are good enough since you just want them for yourself!

K
    K
    Just a reminder if you do track down SAT scores and you are in your mid 40s, you need to make sure that you use a pre-recentering conversion chart. The college board re-centered the mean in the mid 1990s because it had dropped below 500.

C
    C
    When did the recenter the SATs? If taken in 1993 (I think, maybe it was 1992) would that be before or after? Not that I currently remember my scores but still...

B
    B
    Originally Posted by CourtneyB
    When did the recenter the SATs? If taken in 1993 (I think, maybe it was 1992) would that be before or after? Not that I currently remember my scores but still...

The College Board recentered the SAT in April 1995 http://professionals.collegeboard.com/data-reports-research/sat/equivalence-tables .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM