Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #105824 06/27/11 07:17 AM
    mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi all -
    I am wondering if there is any reason to have my daughter take the CTY/SCAT if we are not interested in summer camps at this point. I know she could get a prize for getting a high score, but I am not sure how I feel about that. Are there other perks?

C
    C
    Do you need it for school advocacy? Will they even know what it might mean?

My son took it because he really wanted to do one of the family programs where you can scuba in the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I agreed and signed him up to take the test because it had been a while since he did an out of level test. SCAT isn't comprehensive by any means but it let me know that his reasoning skills are still way out there.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by mom123
    Hi all -
    I am wondering if there is any reason to have my daughter take the CTY/SCAT if we are not interested in summer camps at this point. I know she could get a prize for getting a high score, but I am not sure how I feel about that. Are there other perks?

High enough SCAT scores qualify a child for CTY online courses, but I think in the elementary grades some of those courses can be accessed more cheaply through EPGY open enrollment (search the forum for details).

Most school districts in MA do not identify gifted children -- if they did they might have to DO something for them. Thus it becomes the parents' job to determine if their child is gifted. We got our oldest son tested largely for this reason, and the results confirmed our view that he is gifted.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    mom123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I know other kids at dd's school have done it - which was what got me thinking that perhaps I should have her do it. However, I think that her school is great - they really "get" her.

Wow - Scuba at the Monterey Bay Aquarium does sound pretty cool though.

A
    A
    we kind of did it for fun :P DS likes test taking, gets satisfaction from excelling on them (high honors for math & verbal) and I figured it couldn't hurt to have more "proof".
    It has good street cred' apparently. I was signing DS up for SIG camp last minute and they were happy to have his CTY testing for proof of eligibility.

Also, there are courses besides the summer camps. DS wants to do a weekly competitive math interactive class through CTY. I haven't looked at too much of what they offer yet besides that ($$$$)

C
    C

Keep in mind that those who qualified for CTY at younger age still need to re-qualified at 7th grade with SAT score. For that reason, some parents just wait until 7th grade to do the test and apply for CTY.

Having said that, I really don't see any downside besides the testing fee. People test for CTY for various reasons, summer camp, family program, online classes are all very good reasons. Advocacy is another one if you are thinking of grade skipping or acceleration. Sometimes, it is just curiosity of how advanced your gifted child is. Finding that out early on is actually important.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations