Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    athca Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hello again!!

So back on May 24th we had our IEP "input" meeting to discuss what we would like to see in my son's IEP - to date we haven't had anything returned to us...

How long do these things typically take? Should I be pressing the school for it or should I not expect anything until next school year? School is finished for us next Wednesday...

Thanks

Thanks!

I don't know how long it typically takes, but I'd contact them today, either on the phone or in person if possible, and I wouldn't stop until I spoke to someone. It doesn't ever hurt to leave a paper trail, but you don't want to get stuck in call-back or mail-back limbo heading into the summer.

T
    T
    If the IEP is for any type of disability there is a strict 90 day timeline from referral to placement. Placement is offered at the end of the programming meeting (initial IEP written after evaluation and eligibility determination). Parental signature is required for initial placement, so if you've signed to accept placement (not the same as when you signed to consent to testing/evaluation), then the official process would be considered complete for one year unless a review or revise meeting needs to be held for some reason. Some states have gifted IEPs, but I don't believe they are part of IDEA, so probably don't have to follow the same timelines and rules. My state doesn't have them, so I'm no help there, but the IDEA guidelines are federal and apply in all 50 states.

The timelines actually vary from state to state. IDEA is not clear on specific timelines, and many states have their own. The best thing is to check your state's DOE website and procedural safeguards. In my state (MA) The IEP must be given to the parents within 10 school days of the meeting. If the parents ask, the district must provide it within 5 school days.

Yes, IDEA applies to all states - but often the law and the regulations do not provide specific timelines. In any case - you are now at a month - by most people's and state's definition this would constitute "undue" delay. The services shouldn't happen until you approve them, and without the document you cannot do this. Meanwhile, your child is waiting.

I would call and e-mail the TEAM chair and cc the principal. Give them a reasonable timeline (2-3 days). It is hectic at the end of the year - perhaps it is sitting on someone's desk in a pile of other IEP's. Shouldn't happen, but often it does. A reminder may get yours to the top of the pile and out the door for your approval.

D
    D
    We've never had to wait more than two weeks for an IEP for a disability. We've never had a GIEP.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by athca
    May 24th we had our IEP "input" meeting to discuss what we would like to see in my son's IEP

The input you provide should not be separate from the writing of the IEP-- as a parent you are legally part of the IEP team.

Our schools draft the IEP before the meeting; we make extensive changes as a team during the meeting, with team members agreeing or suggesting changes to wording as we go along and someone recording those changes on a laptop. At the end of the meeting they print the IEP out and hand it to us.

I agree; pursue it now.

DeeDee

L
    L
    My ds10 has a gifted IEP. We did have 90 days from the date they notified us that testing would be conducted to the time he got the IEP. DS had testing, the results were gathered and we met on December 17th 2010. At that point, they already had a generic IEP written up and asked for my input, which we penciled right in. The notified us of the testing in October but he didn't actually get tested until December 2nd.

K
    K
    In my state, they have 30 calendar days to get the IEP written and signed after the determination that the student qualifies for an IEP.

A
    athca Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I just looked into it and it seems 30 calendar days for us too. I know where I will be calling first thing Monday morning...

The meeting we had on the May 24th was to give our input for the IEP - we were told that they would write it up and we would get a chance to review and make changes if necessary. At that point we knew that he qualified for an IEP for gifted and for an LD.

I so want to get this all hammered out before the start of next school year...

Thanks for all your input.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM