Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #105505 06/21/11 09:42 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    DS10 is writing music. He doesn't know how to play and instrument but enjoys singing. This seems a bit unrealistic but it's cool he is trying. He watched a video on how music work and now he is drawing the lines and notes for three different instruments. He amazes me how he just jumps in a does something like this.

He wants to learn electric giutar but I not sure when we will be able to afford that.

I have no musical background. Any suggestions. I usually try to support interest with books or internet. OR should I do nothing?

Last edited by onthegomom; 06/21/11 09:43 AM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    cricket3- He says he is only interested in learning to play the electric guitar but this might need to wait a while. He likes rock music - kids bop and the beetles.

We have a penny whistle and a recorder. The kids are good at those with a few songs.

I'll try to find some music paper. He has been very patient to draw all the lines.

We are not really wanting to change schools. That would only occur with a job relocation.

Our school has a music program but I'll need to check more about that next year.

Last edited by onthegomom; 06/22/11 03:08 PM.
    M
    M
    Hi, onthegomom--

You can get free printable music manuscript online; here are a couple, but there are lots and lots of sizes available on different sites:

http://www.antonjazz.com/musicpaper.html

http://people.virginia.edu/~pdr4h/musicpaper/widerule.pdf

mm

K
    K
    Garage band is a great app, if you have an apple product. I think it was even free. Both DD6 and DD8 like to fiddle around with song arrangements (programming a drum and horn line in, and then recording themselves singing or rapping along, for instance), and I use it to play guitar and drum lines while I play piano along. It took some time to figure out, though, and you don't have complete freedom to make the different instruments do exactly what you want them to. I think if you have a piano or electric guitar you can hook up to the computer and record your music.

DD6 simply jots down songs in a composition book as well. She'll play them on the piano and then figure out how to write them as music. It's a great brain activity!

T
    T
    Thanks for that link minniemarx!

My dd7 recently composed her own music - drew the staff and notes herself. She has taken several years of Kindermusik which we loved.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    I really want a Apple Computer - Oh the possibilities! DS10 went to a afternoon class at the library and did something like garage band. Any way they put together indivual Cds with a mix of music.

He has been working so hard on this music for days and has many pages of words and music. I hope he doesn't get dissappointed. I hate to see such passion squashed. I wonder how close it is to making sense?

A
    A
    Noteflight might be worth looking into for kids who are into composition. There is a free online version and a subscription version.

aculady #106093 06/29/11 09:34 PM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    This looks EXACTLY like what DS needs. Thank you! I will show him tomorrow.

I showed DS10 and WOW is he into that composing web site. Bonus is the music with the words he can sing along. Thank you. I have to keep this kid busy and stimulated.

Last edited by onthegomom; 07/01/11 07:27 PM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I just have to comment again.

My DD8 got on the program. Wow! She made a song that sound like a real beautiful song. I'm not musical so I'm not a great judge but, it was shocking. She has been taking flute for a year. Maybe that helped her. I'm so excited about all this. The kids are having a great time!

Thank you again!

A
    A
    I'm so glad your kids are enjoying it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM