Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #105356 06/18/11 02:56 PM
    T
    Trina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    This is an option that has been offered to us for DS. He's 4.5 and the school wants him to start now, going into a year 2 class then onto year 3 by the end of the year. Here he'd start school at the end of this year as a 5 year old in year '0' and next year he'd be year 1. So they're talking about starting him right in at 2 - 3 years ahead of where he would normally be. Socially he's about right with 6 and 7 year olds and the year 2 class is mostly 7 so that should be ok, but academically the year 2 class is still way below where he is achievement wise - year 3 would be a closer fit, but he'd still need to be moved up for maths, or do something different for that.
    Can this work? The year 2 class would give him time to learn about how school works while still being in the junior part of the school, but would offer little in the way of academic challenge. He'd be doing a lot of social learning I imagine, and just general sorting out how it all works. I'm struggling a bit to imagine how they'll keep pace with his learning because he learns so fast he's not going to need anything like the repetition that is usual at school.
    I'm really not sure what to do - I'd prefer that he had at least some sort of school experience, but I'm not sure what.

I should mention that at the moment it'd only be part time (I doubt he'd manage full days yet).

Any ideas?

M
    M
    Trina, how awesome that the school is so co-operative, acceleration plus part time! Hoping, based on how co-operative they seem to be, that the school will carefully support his unusual start date, start point and age, and given your son's scores and achievement data I would cautiously give it a go (not speaking from personal experience here!).

Personally I would not underestimate the amount of learning that needs to happen that is NOT academic. He may take longer than you think to settle into school life, or he may power through. You may find that there are some unexpected road blocks, such as handwriting, ability to focus on boring stuff, ability to keep himself organised enough to function in higher grades. You may find that what you need is this jump start plus some subject acceleration whenever he shows that he is ready.

Have you read any articles about Terrance Tao's schooling in Australia? If not you may find them interesting and helpful both he and his parents have talked very openly how he progressed, how they made decisions, what worked and what didn't.

M
    M
    Sounds like your school gets gifted kids. That's great! I would probably jump at the opportunity. My DS6 started full-day kindergarten at age 4 with subject acceleration 2-3 years higher still, and it has worked beautifully for us. However, he was also in a very small class (9 kids total), so the teacher could give him the extra attention a four year old needs, like help zipping his jacket, tying his shoes, etc. You might want to consider class size.

K
    K
    Our son had a similar start to school, though not as extreme. You need to consider the teachers that your son would have and whether they can differentiate appropriately, otherwise the school experience is not going to be a positive one. You also need to make contact with whoever takes the classes when the regular teacher is on release time.

Also consider the timing of his move. It would be frustrating to move from the Year 2 to 3 if he had just made friends. From experience, the 'sorting out how things work' takes no time at all. The social takes longer.

You also have to accept that he is going to be bored at times and that primary schools here do vast amounts of busy work that he would be expected to put up with.

M
    M
    wow it's so brilliant that they are willing to allow this... And if your son wants the acceleration too then I would say go for it!

It's great that they are willing to work with you and him on this. (may I ask where you are from?) we are about to start advocating for a jump now mid-year to grade 0 and then next year to grade 1, but even though it's a gifted school I doubt we will come right thanks to education department etc.

Bit of envy and happiness for your son all rolled into one here

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    B
    B
    Will watch with interest to see how things go for you. I have been wondering the best way for DS (3.5) to fit into school, knowing that he will need radical accelation but whether such a jump early on will be tricky with handwriting etc.

T
    Trina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    He's going tomorrow. <gulp>

He is insanely excited. And wants to know if they'll do science, maths, reading, spelling AND write a story tomorrow. Gosh I hope he's not too disappointed.

K
    K
    How was the first day? Any highlights?

T
    Trina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    It was pretty good. He spent most of the time looking around and trying to read everything on the walls and around the room. He commented that there was so much waiting which he didn't like. I found there was SO much busy work too which was a bit frustrating for him and me. Little things he needs to learn like working with a small group of children and using a glue stick should keep him busy for another week or two. He really surprised me by writing a three page story though - the first time he has ever been willing to write without nagging me for every word he isn't positive he can spell and the first time he's written more than two or three sentences. He was very disappointed with the reading material - he was just slotted in with their highest group which is still 2 - 3 years below where he's reading and understanding comfortably, so I'm glad they didn't do maths, I hate to think what he'd be offered there.
    We'll see how it goes I think.

K
    K
    Sounds like an interesting exercise for now anyway and exciting that he wrote a long story. Can he go to a different class for reading? Yes, the busy work in this country is shocking. I don't know how they justify it. It can't be doing anybody in the class any favours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM