Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 162 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #104981 06/14/11 11:39 AM
    OP Offline
    Well our first year of homeschooling is done...after a very rough start (the first 6 weeks were a disaster, website didn't work,that was fixed, then k12 accidently uninrolled us,that was fixed, then I had the flu I was down for about 2 weeks) After that it was smooth sailing..what else could it be? We were able to do alot of day trips with them to museums, zoos and other fun places, which we all really enjoyed.

I mostly HS dd6 and my DH mostly HS dd8. dd6 finished 1st grade in March and they sent the 2nd grade material, enevibility she will do the equivalent of a grade skip because she's going through the material so quickly, which with her I perfer it this way instead of a whole grade skip, only because I'm not sure what she knows and doesn't know, this way I can be sure she knows all the material.

With dd8 I fear there's still not much of a challenge for her I didn't work with her as much, but what I did see she just breezed through the material (she was grade skipped in k) she will be going to 4th next year. For the most part she is an independent worker so you just correct her work when she's done...it just seems too easy. The good news is that my DH is wonderful on expanding on her subjects, he's a wealth of information and he makes it interesting.

So how was your year? Any words of wisdom from seasoned hser's

Last edited by Skylersmommy; 06/14/11 07:42 PM.
    Thanks for the update Skyler's mom! Doesn't k12 have some sort of 'gifted program?'

Glad to hear that things are going well. It's fine to run through the whole curriculum faster instead of skipping - if the child is thriving - and it sounds like both of your are, so - Yippee!

smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    It's called the "accelerated learner program" and apparently we don't know the secret handshake yet. smile We asked about it in the beginning of the year and got the run around. When all the other things came up (first 6 weeks) we just dropped it. I just asked my DH about it again and he doesn't have the impression there's much to that program, but I don't know maybe there is.

Overall I do feel like we had a successful year and that's the most important part smile

Thanks for this post! I'm about to travel this road, it's nice to hear about it going well for others. smile

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    C
    C
    The ALP doesn't seem to be much really. My DS was in it but we never managed to actually do any of the seminars due to when they were scheduled as initially my DD was going to K at our local school. The ALP stuff is nationwide and seems to be fun projecty type stuff but none of it is required.

One thing the ALP teacher did do was to send out mail mentioning how to compact things like the math curriculum and yet another reminder that there is no need to do everything in each lesson if they already know it.

My DS completed all of 1st grade sometime around Feb (as well as 3rd grade math) and I'm glad we could somewhat challenge him and not have to skip him. Of course math is the only thing he is really challenged with at this point and I think it's more that it's more work than more challenging but he seems happy at least.

OP Offline
    Thanks for the info courtneyb, that's exactly what I needed to know so that if I wanted to pursue it for next year which I don't think we will, we already do alot of extra stuff....not to mention since dd6 loves to do ALL the project stuff I already feel like the project queen smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations