Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    DS9 started Strattera Saturday night, had a stomach ache on Sunday and vomited 6 times yesterday (everytime he had to ride in the car). It is our first trial of any medication. I didn't think I would have a problem medicating him, but now I am feeling really guilty. He was miserable yesterday. I talked to the psych and he told me to discontinue the Strattera. I'm supposed to call him back after DS is feeling better for a couple of days and we will talk about what to do next.

I guess I'm just looking for words of advice/encouragement from those of you who have been on this medication merry-go-round.

Awe, sorry that it was so hard on him (and you).

K
    K
    It is not uncommon when starting psych meds to have to take some time to find the right one(s). Different people react differently to meds and a reaction can occur for no apparent reason.

I take anti-depressants and it took some time to find one that works for me. (Lexapro and Celexa made me throw up. Imiprimine was a miserable experience. Zoloft and/or Wellbutrin are fine.)

He might tolerate another drug much better than this one.

At the same time, I'm not medicating my son because his symptoms are manageable without medication and I don't want to go through the medication adjustment process with a kid. Adjusting my meds was a very unpleasant process for me. I don't think the benefit of meds outweighs the costs for my son. (Again, his ADHD symptoms are mild. YMMV.)

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by KateZ
    At the same time, I'm not medicating my son because his symptoms are manageable without medication and I don't want to go through the medication adjustment process with a kid. Adjusting my meds was a very unpleasant process for me. I don't think the benefit of meds outweighs the costs for my son. (Again, his ADHD symptoms are mild. YMMV.)

This is my thought process. Am I jumping on the medication bandwagon too soon? How bad does the inattentiveness have to be? What is "mild" and what is "severe"? How do I know the problems that I perceive to be from the ADD will improve? I know there are no good answers to these questions...I just feel terrible putting him through all of the trial and error and unpleasantness of the wrong meds. At the same time, if it "fixes" all of our issues, it would be well worth it.

Originally Posted by perplexed
    What is "mild" and what is "severe"? How do I know the problems that I perceive to be from the ADD will improve? I know there are no good answers to these questions...I just feel terrible putting him through all of the trial and error and unpleasantness of the wrong meds. At the same time, if it "fixes" all of our issues, it would be well worth it.

These are difficult moments. The medication merry-go-round is no fun at all. The good news is that the next drug us unlikely to be as bad as this one was. You won't really even have a real answer. I have the feeling that you can look sincerely into your child's eye and say - 'everyone is different, that's why they make so many medicines to do the same thing - let's try again and see what happens.' If you can do that, then you can try again. If you can't, then you sit down a make a contract with your child about what else to try.

We run around the house saying 'N of 1!' all the time here. How can anyone know anything when it's an 'N of 1' situation?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    n of 1. So true. Every single person, their situation and what works is unique!

perplexed - just wondering why the doc chose strattera as the first trial? Generally, stimulants are the first line for ADHD, unless there are other circumstances. One advantage of a stimulant is that it is in and out of the system within 24 hours. Strattera takes awhile to build up, so you don't see the benefit for awhile and it takes awhile to get out of the system, do if there are intolerable side effects, it might take some time to work through. This is a good forum to get specific information re ADHD and medication: http://millermom.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general

In the meantime - hugs - and I hope things settle down. Just as Grinity says, the merry-go-round is no fun. I hope it is a short ride.

D
    D
    Hi perplexed,

I think you should keep in mind why you wanted to try meds. Nobody does this for fun-- you were hoping to see changes that would really make your child's life better, probably because certain aspects were intolerable or nearly so. That was enough to make us keep trying.

Different meds *really are different.*

DeeDee

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by mich
    perplexed - just wondering why the doc chose strattera as the first trial? Generally, stimulants are the first line for ADHD, unless there are other circumstances.

mich-

We decided to try the non-stimulants first because DS has significant issues staying focused for homework in the evenings. I work and he goes to an after school program, then we typically have soccer or baseball practice....so homework doesn't happen until later in the evening, when stimulants will have worn off. We are trying Intuniv now, but we may go to a stimulant if this one doesn't work.

I understand about the late night homework. My son doesn't get home until at least 6:00 and often is doing hw after 9:00. Since he leaves for school at 6:40, the medication is worn off by the time he starts. It is a problem. I got a script for short acting ritilan, but we never used it because I was afraid it would be in his system too late and affect his sleep.

Next year my son will be attending school nearby - so I hope we have more options.

Hope the intuniv works for you. The merry go round is not a fun ride.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations