Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #104693 06/10/11 11:03 PM
    L
    ljoy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    If you could pick an off-the-shelf math curriculum as the core for a GT school, what would you choose? Is there one you would run screaming from? Why?

We have the chance to influence our school's choice and thought this board would give great advice. grin We said we didn't love EDM and so she suggested TERC, but I'm not sure that's an improvement. The teacher does seem to be excellent at adjusting to kids' levels, but I wouldn't want to tie his hands with a poor choice of materials.

B
    B
    Singapore Math is the non-computerized elementary math curriculum I have seen mentioned most often on this forum, is what I have used with success with two of my boys, and is used by at least one gifted school, ANOVA http://www.anovaschool.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=65 .

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    S
    S
    I know I wasn't excited with my 2 boys using "Go Math" this year. It is possible that it was just that it was the first year using it and everyone was confused and next year it will be better but I have my doubts. One son will be out of it in middle school the other I will be after schooling his math if it continues to be such a dud program.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    D
    D
    We've been using Singapore Math on and off at home and love it!

K
    K
    I have a math and comp sci degree and homeschool my 2 kids (after 2 unsuccessful years in PS for my oldest). I've looked at and own WAY too much math curriculum. I have yet to see anything that is as deep as Singapore, especially if you use their additional problem sets.

J
    J
    We use Singapore Math at home too. However, obviously, they need to pick up their math facts somewhere, since Singapore seems to assume that you already know your math facts. I've also been throwing in Two Minute Math workbooks 2-3 grade levels ahead. My kids really like it.

M
    M
    Singapore Primary Math with Challenging Word Problem and Intensive Practice Books.

I wouldn't recommend incremental programs like Saxon, for example.

C
    C
    We love Singapore Math and their Challenging Word Problems, too! It's great for GT kids since they are not tedious. We also needed to supplement with some math drills to get the math facts in early grade.

The Math Contests books from Mathleague are fun for older grade.

BTW, is this GT school for elementary only or MS/HS, too?

L
    ljoy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    This is for elementary only. The curriculum coordinator is looking for something that encourages the kids to think for themselves and shows multiple approaches to a problem, which is what she liked about EDM. I pointed out that the spiral instruction (as distinct from distributed practice) is bad, esp. for GT kids, and she did take that seriously. Anything that looks like rote or direct instruction will be rejected on philosophical grounds.

I'm not sure she's considered the mathy kid problem. My impression is that the school had been almost unschooling for math and this has left some gaps for some of the kids that they feel the need to correct. In a way this is the hardest thing to do right - discover and remediate gaps that may be years behind a kid's usual working level without boring a giftie to tears.

And no, I'm not certain this is a great situation... But at least I have the chance to strongly influence the school, and its issues will be different from those that plagued our public school. Homeschooling would be a bad personality fit, and this looks like the Hoagies' Least-Worst solution.

Any clues whether Singapore can easily be used this way?

S
    S
    I have used Sadlier-Oxford Progress in Mathematics before and it meets the "shows how to do things in a variety of ways" and I think you could easily pretest kids out of distinct chapters and units...in fact I did that when I used it.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM