Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    The test is Scantron performance testing a test the take on the computer and if they get a question right it moves up in difficulty, if the answer is wrong it moves down in difficulty.

Yes, I don't intend on getting any 9th grade work for him or even anything close to that. He's been working in 2nd grade level this year, though for the last month or so he was getting so board of the English...and i was feeing like i was wasting my time. So i bought a 3rd grade grammar book and a 5th grade reading comp w/ vocabulary and some other things that go with the stories.

I e-mailed the teacher/administrator that i think might be able to interpret and maybe give advice. I just want to do the best thing for him next year, though I don't know how I'll figure out what that is.

Hi Jenafur,
    Great to see that your son learned a lot over the year!
    Quite a lot, and so it makes sense to re-evaluate what level of materials to use to teach him. Can you imagine your son in public 1st grade right now?

Anyway - what you want to know isn't 'what grade would by child be preforming 'average' at - you want to know 'what grade would by child have to be in for a scaled score of 2834 to be 90% percentile. That will give you a more accurate estimate of what level books and worksheets to ask for.

I'll be interested to see what the teacher suggests. It's going to be 'trial and error' for a while.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    Hi Jenafur,

Though you don't mention which school your child is using, I am pretty sure my children are in the same one--based on the Scantron and the numbers you are quoting. My son didn't start using that school until right after he turned 8, but he had similar results: He tested out of high school.

The tests are pretty shallow, and they are multiple choice. I have found that they don't really mean that much at all--other than that your child could probably handle curriculum that is more challenging than grade level. I haven't found the tests at all useful in figuring out where my son is academically--they are just too quick.

Hopefully your son's teacher can help you figure out where your child should be placed. They seem pretty willing to skip grades in language arts and math. Good luck!

Jenafur,
    Did you ever end up applying to Davidson Young Scholars Program?
    Smiles,
    Robin

J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    No, and that's so funny that you just said that because i'm looking at it right now, wondering if it really would help. I just don't want to go have my son tested and pay all the money and get him in the program if it ends up not really being worth it. I feel like I still don't understand what the Davidson Young Scholars program really is and what they can really do. I read the things on the website but I wonder what they will really be able to do for my son. I was just talking to my Mom on the phone today and she wants to help find programs or people that can help him and me. I told her about the Davidson Young scholars program and she would be willing to help pay for testing or do whatever.

Originally Posted by Jenafur
    I told her about the Davidson Young scholars program and she would be willing to help pay for testing or do whatever.
    Go Jenafur's Mom!!! I think particularly for homeschooling moms, DYS opens the door to lots of other mom's who have BTDT, and know about all sorts of programs to try. The seminars are good, and we've gotten a lot out of it.

No magic wand, but great to see how some older kids have turned out ok.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students