Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    We need to have dd evaluated (possibly by the start of the school year in the fall) and will be driving through Baltimore on our way home after vacation this summer. We don't have any great options for testing nearby, so I thought it might make sense to go to CTY, and just mailed in the intake form. Thoughts or experiences? Or any other tester suggestions near 95 on the East Coast south of Philly?

R
    R
    We tested at CTY this past March. My son loved the testing, was just asking to go back. We were given good sound analysis and a well written report. They do a follow up appointment a few weeks after testing that you can either do in person or by phone. We tested with Dr. Karen Mickenburg. I really liked that she let us know that we can talk with her anytime with questions, and that this was not a "one-time" appointment. She said that she still advised parents whose kids were now in college. Her report has helped us with some accomodations at school.

S
    S
    My sister tested her kids there years ago, and had a very good experience. She got a FAR more useful report than the tester we used here in Florida (who I don't think had any real experience with extremely gifted kids -- he said DS5 tested higher than anyone else he had tested). And his report said absolutely nothing other than "he's smart" and "he's a nice and well behaved kid". Useless, except for getting us numbers and enrolled into the gifted program at the public school. If we retest in the future for any reason, we would likely to to CTY because my family is from there.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks for the feedback. I think dd10 is a pretty straight-forward MG/HG? kid, doesn't appear to have any 2e issues, and the only thing that might affect the accuracy of the results would be perfectionism and fear of not having the right answer, which I assume a tester there would be experienced with. I just want the results b/c we will be asking for a grade skip?subject accel. and have to figure out what to do with her for middle school(even if she is *just* MG her scores on Explore and the fact that she has been working a year ahead shows she needs it IMO) so I need the numbers. I figure if we are putting out a lot of $ anyway for testing why not put out some more to get testing that I would really trust was accurate...
    MON--I would be seriously annoyed with that kind of report--I hope that isn't our experience!

Thanks for the feedback, I have come to the conclusion that I don't think it is worth using a tester around here so I will try to get an appt. with CTY.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations