Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 273 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I guess the way I described DD7 wasn't fair. She is a VERY talented artist and dancer. She danced with a local professional Ballet company in 3 Nutcrackers this last Christmas. She is very intuitive and curious, however she is VERY shy. She does very well at school and seems to understand concepts quickly; however she has no interest in anything more than she has to know.
    I found this awesome book at Marshall's, it was "History World Atlas" I brought it home and told the kids I bought something for them. They both ran up to me and waited as I pulled out the book. My DD7 looked at it and walked away...DS10 grabbed it and sat down to read.

Bright vs. Gifted?

I have 4 children total. My oldest son was labeled "gifted" by his school. Older DS29 had no interest in learning a thing. He tested into AP classes and actually refused them. He graduated college with 2 degrees at 21. He was also very well rounded and a HS and College athletic scholar. His wife thinks he has a photographic memory...Hahaha explains why he never opened a book at home.
    DD27 is a perpetual college student...today she is majoring in Psycho-Biology...Don't get me started on that one...LOL She was also a very talented dancer.
    Then there is DS10 (HG/PG?)Who was born when DS29 was a sophomore in college. This was my husband�s answer to the empty nest syndrome I experienced when DS left for college at 17.
    And then there is my DD 7 who tells everyone I saved the "best for last" :-)

DeeDee Thank You...believe it or not I am the mom that NEVER questions the school system. I always told the kids that they will always run into someone they don't "jive" with. They will have bosses and teachers they might like but that is just life. I make them stick it out; I have never run interference on that issue.
    DS10 is telling me the stuff with the teacher, he is getting an A citizenship and has received that award quarterly along with his Honor Roll and AR awards.
    It is just not like him to dislike a teacher. I remember his 3rd grade teacher telling me in a laughing way how he corrects and elaborated on topics but that teacher enjoyed it. This teacher looks at it differently. He has also never "bad mouthed" any of his teachers. He calls her dumb and clueless. We don't avocate that type of disrespect and he knows it. So his "in trouble" is really happening at home.

Grin...LOL...DD27 has looked at me and point blank told me DD7 is smarter than DS10...

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Luke ... I have heard of him and I actually planned on hiring him to eval both children on what kind of learners they are, especially since I am now going to be Homeschooling.
    I pretty much know but being in CA the whole HS thing is a hot topic. I will be very prepared and legally sound.

I was looking for someone who could talk to DS about his feelings of isolation. And someone who understands that because they see it daily...like we do.
    Maybe he knows of someone...

L
    L
    I am sure he has resources and referrals for exactly what you need. He provided us with a wealth of information and referrals for our son, though we are not quite ready for "therapy" yet (hes only just 5!). We will be a Dr. Palmers on 1/31 for WJ111, I can ask him, if you haven't gained any info by then.... Send me a private message.
    Are you in the area? Have you looked into the Pegasus School in Huntington?

Breaky,
    How have you been? What are you looking forward too?
    Great to see you here!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E
    Dr. Palmer is highly recommended and reasonably priced. I don't know where you are in OC, but the choices I usually hear are Pegasus, as someone already mentioned (VERY expensive) and the Ocean View GATE pull-out program which would be at Mesa View for his grade. It's supposed to be great and you can transfer from any district that doesn't have a self-contained GATE classroom as your home district has to release you for the reason "program not offered." Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM