Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 157 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    N
    Austin-- We did the same, but only actually visited the two private schools that said yes, they sometimes allow early entrance. If no schools had said they allow early entrance then I think we would have had to visit the other places without telling them why up front. This way at least separated the places with experience with and procedures for early entrance from ones we would have to fight for it.

After observing and testing DC4, they had him come in for a second round of testing and are single subject accelerating him to first for math and reading, though he tested at 3rd. It sounded like that's an initial placement and if he needs they will be amenable with working with us for higher skips if this one works out. We're hopeful. But this is the only school in town that really seems to understand why acceleration might be necessary. The other school that allows early entrance was eager for our business after hearing about DS but the kids were bored and the teachers didn't even understand the terms we were using regarding differentiation/acceleration (the admissions director had to translate).

To be honest, I'll be more comfortable with higher level skips once he completely stops having pee accidents whenever he gets distracted with learning new stuff. In K and 1st he won't be the only one!

DC's Montessori also ran out of stuff for him on reading and asked us to bring stuff in, which I thought was bizarre... they also seem to not be aware of his math ability which is a bit disappointing since my little sister's Montessori had her entire class doing addition, subtraction, multiplication, place value, sets etc. before she got to elementary school. But they were doing a great job with science, social studies, art history, practical living etc. so we figured he could finish the year.

Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Are there buzz words or catch phrases to use? Meg
    It's always good to have a few quick phrases to repeat when it's time to reveal the 'why' you want early enterance to let know your child's approximate academic level with regards to -
    -what is the child reading?
    -can child tell time on an analog clock 'to the hour, quarter-hour, or the minute'
    -able to skip count by 5s and 10s
    -enjoys playing with older kids, particularly checkers and legos.

Or whatever is true at your house- but try to keep it just that brief.

It might help to visit a local kindy classroom to see what the kids actually are doing this late in the year.

Another thing to consider is if you think you child would be happier attending kindy this year and skipping into 2nd from there. Especially if the kindy program is 'half-day' some kids like it better that way.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    One thing that really helped us was the phrase, "All of his friends (but one) are going to kindergarten next year." It is the truth, but somehow just saying that we could feel the tension and the concerns that we're horrible hot-housing parents setting our child up for a lifetime of stress completely evaporate. Although our facts about what he could do in terms of reading, math etc. mattered, they didn't seem to matter as much as the social aspect to most of the folks we talked to during this process. We're doing the right thing for him because it's the right thing socially. The academics are of secondary importance. I know that's messed up, but that's our experience here.

They also seemed concerned with, does he follow directions, can he sit still etc. Again, sighs of relief when we said he's a rules follower. YMMV on that.

Academics taught in kindergarten vary a LOT. It makes us really sad that our kid has been able to do everything they expect kids to do at the end of kindergarten since long before he was 2. That isn't true in all states.

M
    M
    One thing that really helped us was the phrase, "All of his friends (but one) are going to kindergarten next year." It is the truth, but somehow just saying that we could feel the tension and the concerns that we're horrible hot-housing parents setting our child up for a lifetime of stress completely evaporate.

I wish that had worked for us. Instead we got various lectures about how making new friends "their own age" was good for children's social development, only playing with older children was a sign of immaturity, etc.... Arrgh. Never mind that the friends that went up ahead of DD were 6 months older than her and the ones she is supposed to consider "her own age" are 6 months younger... What is the difference? None.

A
    A
    we got various lectures about how making new friends "their own age" was good for children's social development, only playing with older children was a sign of immaturity, etc....

Well, then, I'm staggeringly immature, as I married a man 8 years older than I am, and many of my friends are ten or more years my senior. Of course, many of my friends are ten or more years my junior, too, so where does that leave the maturity calculations? I have never seen a real-world setting (that wasn't school-based) where anyone was expected to interact only with those whose ages fell within a given twelve-month spread. This sort of "reasoning" on the part of school personnel is not rational, it is just rationalizing.

M
    M
    This sort of "reasoning" on the part of school personnel is not rational, it is just rationalizing.
    Yep.

N
    N
    That's a good point. I'm guessing in places that have already made up their mind in advance, there's not much you can say or do other than being persistent enough to wear them down and talking to enough people that you find one who doesn't have a closed mind.

I really hope we don't have to go that route because I'd prefer advocacy not to be my only activity outside of work. We only talked to a couple of places that did have a history of grade skips, but still seemed worried about kids having too much pressure and so were cautious about who they allow early entrance.

L
    L
    We've tried so many private schools in the area (one of them even called a "school for the gifted", believing hope beyond hope that these schools have experience and resources to help educated gifted children. No luck. Really. No such thing as advanced classes, etc. We tried private for the last time this year. That's it. We're done. We're moving to public.

Our daughter finally, officially is skipping a grade this year. It took months and months of talking. The school principal was literally shaking when considering the idea. I mean, really shaking, as though it could be something dangerous or cause tremendous harm. Unbelievable. And finally we had to go to the asst. superintendent (public school, virginia). Our daughter will be 9 and going into the 5th grade (while still doing her outside CTY/JHU gifted middle and high school courses). We tried everything. She was doing her learning at home and being at school all day with other kids her age (but given so many time outs for daydreaming or just answering questions). We'll see. Her academic level is so above the 5th grade, but I'm just not ready for her to be in middle school yet. Small steps, I guess, and just see how it goes. We're hoping it works for at least a year, then we will see about what to do next. We just got into the Davidson program, so we are hoping our family counselor can help us come up with schooling options. The current plan is to meet with the middle school principal this fall, just to start to prepare for the "how are we going to make this work next year for this child?"
    Sometimes this whole walk with our child seems so uncertain and tenuous. Really! Half the time, we just don't know what to do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM