Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    O
    Orson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by MsFriz
    Our small private school teaches kids according to ability rather than age. My DS6 is in a classroom of 10 first, second and third graders. Within this class, each student is given an individualized curriculum based on pretesting at the beginning of the year. As a result, DS6 (who would be a kindergartner in our public system) is getting second and third grade math, fourth grade grammar and 5th grade spelling. In the same classroom, there are kids who have delays, so some of the third graders might still be working on first grade material. Because individualization is the norm in this place, none of the kids think anything of it. My son assumes all schools teach this way and often doesn't even realize he's getting advanced material. It's pretty great.

Where is this place!? It sounds great, but as a private school, they sadly would not accept/accommodate my child with Asperger Syndrome.

O
    Orson Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    If all you want is for your son not to be subjected to the '2+2' stuff, perhaps you might consider pulling him out of school and not teaching him anything for a few years. He sounds like a self directed learner, so you can assist him if you want to, but there is a case to be made for just getting him out of that situation and not worrying about how much or what he learns for a while. You might want to read up on the philosophy of Unschooling, but I'm suggesting that you take an even lower key approach than that, IF all you really want is to stop the harm from being done.

I disagree with this advice. Pull out your son if you think it is best, but don't avoid educating him. There have been many discussions on this forum of curricula parents can use on their own.

My son is a self-directed learned, but he thrives on education. The nastiest thing I could do to him would be to take that away. However, I agree with Grinity that the school is doing more harm than good at this point. Nothing more upsetting than seeing a child who lives to learn grow to hate school. If DS was my only child, I would have pulled him out of school months ago. But I have nowhere else to send him! I cannot homeschool because I have to earn a living and I have another child involved. I know people have said it's possible to homeschool after work, before work, on weekends, etc., but the lousy wage I'd be making would barely cover daycare (if I could even find daycare for an ASD child). If I won the lottery, I would never, ever, send DS or his brother back to this school. But we have no choice, so I'm trying to find ways to make it tolerable.

I guess I was using the wrong lingo, because they don't have lingo for this stuff in our school. When I asked about "subject acceleration," I meant...how does your school handle kids who are working well above grade level in certain subjects?

L
    L
    Hi Orson, I homeschooled my DS 10, Aspergers, for a little over a year and have since started slowly reintegrating him back into public school. Since he is now 2 years accelerated and I have a lot of testing behind his diagnosis, they are allowing him to work independently. I will give him a lesson in the morning and put together a folder of daily work, then when the class is doing math games he can play with them. This is the plan for next year. One nice thing about his Asperger's is it is way more important for him to do math that is right for him, then it is to try to be like everyone else. At least that's the way he feels. Hope that helps some. Best wishes-

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM