Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My son (age 7yrs, 9 mos) had some updated testing done, and we could use some help with understanding just what the results mean. The neuro-psych gave us feedback, but between him and the other professionals involved, there's great debate over what is really going on. I just want to know what to expect (strengths and challenges for my son) based on these results. If you have time to take a look, my husband and I would greatly appreciate it.

WISC-IV

VCI 116 (86th %ile)
    Similarities: 13
    Vocabulary: 15
    Comprehension: 11

PRI (perceptual reasoning) 125 (95th %ile)
    Block Design: 13
    Pic concepts: 14
    Matrix Reasoning: 15

WMI (working memory) 104 (61st %ile)
    Digit Span: 9
    Letter-Number Sequencing: 13

PSI (proc speed)88 (61st %ile)
    Digit-Symbol Coding: 7
    Symbol Search: 9

Full Scale IQ 114 (82nd %ile)-according to neuropsych, this is invalid b/c of the processing speed deficits.

GAI (general ability index): 124 (95th %ile)

WJ-III

Academic Skills 127; age equ 9-11; 96%
    Academic Fluency 120; age equ 9-2; 91%
    Academic Applications 116; age equ 8-11; 86%
    Broad Reading 122; 10-5; 93%
    Letter-Word ID 126; 11-1; 96%
    Reading Fluency 120; 9-10; 91%
    Passage Comprehension 115; 9-8; 83%
    Basic Reading 122; 10-5; 93%
    Word Attack 117; 10-9; 87%
    Broad Math 126; 9-1; 93%
    Calculation 130; 9-6; 98%
    Math Fluency 103; 7-11; 59%
    Applied Problems 120; 9-2; 90%
    Brief Math 129; 9-4; 97%
    Broad Written Language 113; 9-4; 81%
    Spelling 114; 9-0; 83%
    Writing Fluency 120; 9-7; 91%
    Writing Samples 101: 7-10; 53%
    Oral Language 113; 9-4; 81%
    Story Recall 127; age equiv >20; 96%
    Understanding directions 100; 7-10; 51%
    Story Recall-Delayed 117; >29; 89%

Other tests and checklists administered:
    CPT-II (Connors')
    NEPSY-2
    ABAS-2
    BASC-2
    CPRS-R:L
    CTRS-R:L
    SRS (social responsiveness test)
    SCQ (social communication questionnaire)
    Krug Asperger's Disorder Index (KADI)

Looks like the final diagnosis, after a bit of debate and further brain mapping/EEG results, is ADHD. Well, duh! We, and the neuropsych, were on the fence as to whether ds is on the spectrum. After consulting the neuropsych who interpreted test results, the actual tester who is a psychologist (no one mentioned someone else would be doing the testing other than the actual neuropsychologist), the psychiatrist, the pediatric psychologist who is my son's counselor, the pediatrician, developmental pediatrician, and neurofeedback/brain mapping results, they finally decided that it is more likely ADHD than Asperger's. No matter what we call it, I want to know if these test results can help us come up with a good plan for our son. Unfortunately, the neuropsych was no help in this department. He came highly recommended, but I was not impressed. Thanks for any help you can provide, and I apologize for the lengthy post (if you've managed to read this far!)

Jen

Last edited by JenSMP; 05/20/11 08:33 AM.
    Hi Jen,
    Great to see you!

Can you fill us in on how things have been going since November?

Classroom behavior? Therapist? Home behavior? Found a medications that is working or given up entirely on that route?

Was there medication 'on board' for this testing?

How are things going socially? Does he have friends?

Do you have older testing numbers, if so, are they similar? (Pop 'em up)

How is school going 'academic fit' wise? Is he ahead of grade-level? Ahead of age peers? Is he enjoying reading?
    What prompted the recent update?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Hi Jen,
    Great to see you!

Can you fill us in on how things have been going since November?

Classroom behavior? Therapist? Home behavior? Found a medications that is working or given up entirely on that route?

Was there medication 'on board' for this testing?

How are things going socially? Does he have friends?

Do you have older testing numbers, if so, are they similar? (Pop 'em up)

How is school going 'academic fit' wise? Is he ahead of grade-level? Ahead of age peers? Is he enjoying reading?
    What prompted the recent update?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Hi Grin! I had to take a break from the site to preserve my sanity! Things are actually going pretty well. DS is doing well in school academically. He's at least on grade level and definitely well above grade level with reading and some other areas. Spelling, writing, and math (speed/memorization of facts) are difficult. He is doing just fine with math concepts; he just has the processing speed and working memory deficits slowing him down. Teacher/school not worried at all about academics.

Socially, there are still some minor issues, but nothing we are seriously worried about. DS is still impulsive and has lots of energy. Emotional control is much better but not where it should be. That said, it's rarely an issue at school anymore, and they do not see meltdowns at all. We rarely see them at home either, but we have seen an increase in "mouthiness" and arguing. That might just be his age; I'm not sure. Definitely, impulsivity and lack of focus are our main concerns. He is completing his work and responds really well to incentive systems.

His anxiety is well under control. He continues to get overstimulated in certain environments when there is lots of noise, lots of people, screaming kids, bright lights, etc. Birthday parties can be a challenge b/c he gets upset easily. He does better socially in a small group and with children a little older than he. On a very positive note, ds has made a friend at school who was admitted in January. They are best buds and spend lots of time together in and out of school. He is an amazingly bright, gentle, kind-hearted child, and he and his family have been a Godsend to us.

DS also has several other friends in the classroom who he gets together with after school. He attends church activities with a few of them, and they like having that in common. He has other friends who we know outside of the school setting, and he gets along just fine with them.

The school fit is good, not perfect, but what is? A gifted charter school is opening here in August, and we seriously considered sending ds there. In the end, we decided that consistency was more important than anything else. DS is learning to stand up for himself in a positive way, learning to adapt to others (instead of needing things his way), and maturing a great deal. The charter school only goes to 5th grade at this point, and we didn't want to move ds for 3 years and then have to move again. I think he'll do well staying where he is. They have actually hired an intern for next school year to be in the classroom helping implement accommodations and organizational systems for ds. I'm pretty sure a couple of other students, if not all of them, will benefit from this as well. This intern specializes in ADHD and autism spectrum disorders. She's a doctoral student.

The recent testing was conducted over the course of 4 days. Each day lasted 2 hours. He was tested on and off medication, and portions of each test were given on various days to get a cross sample of performance. That way, we can't blame results on "one bad day" or attribute good results to "one good day".

Prior testing was conducted at age 5. That was just the SB-V. Here are those results:

Full Scale IQ: 132
    Nonverbal IQ: 119
    Verbal IQ: 143

Fluid Reasoning: 138
    Knowledge: 111
    Quantitative Reasoning: 136
    Visual Spatial: 132
    Working Memory: 123

Nonverbal/Verbal Subtests:
    Fluid Reasoning: 14/19
    Knowledge: 10/14
    Quantitative Reasoning: 14/19
    Visual Spatial: 15/16
    Working Memory: 12/16

Current medications: Ritalin instant release 10 mg 4X daily and Prozac 10 mg once daily. Long-acting extended release meds do not work for him due to increased anxiety. He is a fast metabolizer so no meds work for long. If we increase the instant release Ritalin even by 5 mg, ds becomes irritable, anxious, and easily frustrated. I think we are set at 10mg unless we add in some other med we haven't tried yet. For me, that's a last resort b/c he's doing quite well right now.

Thanks for any input you might have. It's tough to make sense of all of this. I'd like to think we paid a small fortune for something!

Last edited by JenSMP; 05/20/11 09:57 AM. Reason: added info
    Hey Jen,
    Glad you've been preserving your sanity - it's a nice attribute!

You've come a long way and it sounds like your son is doing really well!

My recommendation: The reteset seems to be comfirming your gut instincts. Enjoy!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM