Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #102863 05/20/11 08:17 AM
    OP Offline
    I had put this on an old thread, thought it might be better to start a new one..

It's been a while to reply,had to really think about if we should do the acheivement testing

when I recieved the results her GAI was in the 99% we decided to go ahead with the achievement testing, she more or less did the same thing,wanting to end the testing as quick as possible, cutting the tests short, except with her reading I thought she did do that to her ability... she ended up having math scores that would qualify for DYS program..

So now I don't know what to do, should I wait for her to mature a little bit and try the WISC-VI again, she got 99% without putting in much effort, if she was just a little interested I know the score would be there, should I apply now and show them her work samples? (she wrote little books when she was 3, now she has started writing songs, and leaving them all over the house) Or does that only work if the IQ score is there....any thoughts are greatly appreciated smile

The feeling I get is that you don't hurt your chances by submitting multiple applications. If an expert here says you have any kind of shot, i'd go for it now. In the absence of further info i'd also go for it instead of waiting. Have you considered an alternate IQ test?

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    OP Offline
    That is a good ideal, but she may not cooperate again. I think if I retest I need to wait til she's older, but is the 99 percentle close enough to apply now given that the acheivement score is there?

My personal opinion (a.k.a. wild unfounded guess) is that it's close enough so that a later test score in the 99.9th percentile range would not look weird. Because of that, I can't see a downside to applying now, and simply reapplying later if changed circumstances warrant it. The portfolio items you submit will likely become part of her file at Davidson either way, and the more info the merrier.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM