Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 226 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #102852 05/20/11 07:13 AM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Since we seem to have a quite a few Floridians here...

I need a good summer program with focus on math or science for my DYS-PG 10 yr old. I am considering the SIG (summer institute for the gifted) which seems to be my only local option. DH has to work and I have a MG/HG/maybe-LD DD8 that will be in local theater/arts camp so I can't travel a program with DS. Didn't find anything through the college but maybe I should call and actually ask them. SIG looks good it's just pricey but there may be hope of him having some PG peers there(even though it seems to have a 130 test score requirement, i can dream, right?)

*Sigh*

Any help would be great!!

AntsyPants: We did SIG here last year and it was ok. We found the camp at the last minute and I missed the orietnation about their teaching/learning philosophy. I didn't realize that the kids are expected to pick their own projects and DS-then 7 came home unsure of what was expected of him. When I finally realized what was going on, he had already been sort of backed into whatever project was left. This year, he is ready to go and already has plans for what he wants to do. I think last year he was surprised that he would have so much autonomy, never having had that before in a structured learning environment. As for other PG kids, I don't know. But the teaching and learning is so individualized, it should work!

Mote Marine has a one week summer camp that is great. DS came home proclaiming he was going to be a marine biologist after that camp.

Stetson University (4 hours away) has some summer gifted camp programs, too.

The county has an environmental camp and a camping camp which your son should be old enough for if he is interested in nature at all.

DS loves the beach and is doing a skim board camp for 2 of the weeks this summer.

We are going to Colorado for the Epsilon camp for math since DS has been begging for a math camp since he was 6!

Let me know what you find for summer activities here is SWFL!! Kate

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM